Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sump pump around pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sump pump around pool

Hi all,

I moved into a house over the winter and when I moved in I noticed that there was a sump pump around the pool. It has a black tube coming up and water filters out into the back corner of the yard.
    - Do you know the purpose of what a sump pump around the pool would be?
    - The piping above ground is rather unattractive, I was thinking about turning it off and taking the pipe down now that it is summer and reinstall before next winter.

Your help is much appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sump pump around pool

A picture would be very helpful. I am not sure of what you are talking about.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm going to guess you have a high water table and they are trying to keep it dry around the pool. Do you have a vinyl liner?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it is a vinyl liner. When purchasing the house in late September it wasn't there. I'm assuming it was put up before the winter snow. Do you see any harm in taking it down?

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there any way you can get in contact with the former owners?

If it is to drain due high water table you could float your pool and that is a bad thing

Do any of your neighbors have pools? Maybe you can talk to them about what they do.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit