Fighting Algae, Now I have Foam!!!

May 31, 2015
Illinois
I got some advice from reddit and reading some guides here on the side (I am new!)
I currently have my chlorine levels very high. I have a 14,000 gall pool and I have dumped 4 gallons of 8% bleach about 4 days ago and 2 gallons today. I also dumped about 1 gall of muriatic acid after the bleach to get the pH down for fighting the algae (so 2 gallons total atm)

Since I shocked it with bleach, I have noticed my clarity get better. It is still very very mirky, but i can slowly see more and more. Everytime I add stuff, I get a LOT of foam. Let me try and post some pictures. Is the foam algae dying? Is it a combination of my bleach and acid? Is it my clarifier that I added also doing things? Should I scoop it out or swoosh it around?

What is my plan, just keep adding bleach every day till its gone, backwashing and filtering?

Help! Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

What test kit are you using? Sounds like you are flying blind which is a BAD idea ... especially adding that much acid.
You need one of the Recommended Test Kits and then post the results and then we can offer meaningful advice.

BTW, we do not recommend clarifiers / algeacides / potions / etc.

Did you happen to add some "splashless" bleach as that can cause foaming.

I would also not continue to try to mix advice from multiple sources.

The additives in the germicidal bleach is probably causing the foam. Use just regualr bleach without any additives and that problem will go away. And its cheaper than what you're using.

If you really want to take care of your own pool, then a very good test kit is pretty much mandatory.
TFP recommends either a Taylor K2006 kit or a TF100. The TF100 is only available online at TFTestkits.net or Pool Supplies, Spa Supplies and Parts on the west coast.

The taylor kit can be gotten several places online as well as at tftestkits.net.

The TF100 is the best bang for the buck, because it contains larger quantities of test regent than the Taylor kit does. Having to reorder regeants for the Taylor can be a pain if you run out of something at the wrong time.
shoot I am using one of those ****ty ones where you add 5 drops of red and yellow...

The bleach I am using is this
HDX 121 oz. Germicidal Bleach-23008948211 - The Home Depot

Which kit should I get?

The TF-100 is the best bang for the buck kit.

You should be checking the manufacturing date code on bleach purchases. I've seen some really old stuff at Home Depot. Bleach degrades over time, and faster at hotter temperatures. I look for bleach less than 30 days old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.