Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fighting Algae, Now I have Foam!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Fighting Algae, Now I have Foam!!!

I got some advice from reddit and reading some guides here on the side (I am new!)
    I currently have my chlorine levels very high. I have a 14,000 gall pool and I have dumped 4 gallons of 8% bleach about 4 days ago and 2 gallons today. I also dumped about 1 gall of muriatic acid after the bleach to get the pH down for fighting the algae (so 2 gallons total atm)

Since I shocked it with bleach, I have noticed my clarity get better. It is still very very mirky, but i can slowly see more and more. Everytime I add stuff, I get a LOT of foam. Let me try and post some pictures. Is the foam algae dying? Is it a combination of my bleach and acid? Is it my clarifier that I added also doing things? Should I scoop it out or swoosh it around?

What is my plan, just keep adding bleach every day till its gone, backwashing and filtering?

Help! Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fighting Algae, Now I have Foam!!!

Welcome to TFP!!

What test kit are you using? Sounds like you are flying blind which is a BAD idea ... especially adding that much acid.
    You need one of the Recommended Test Kits and then post the results and then we can offer meaningful advice.

BTW, we do not recommend clarifiers / algeacides / potions / etc.

Did you happen to add some "splashless" bleach as that can cause foaming.

I would also not continue to try to mix advice from multiple sources.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

shoot I am using one of those ****ty ones where you add 5 drops of red and yellow...
    it is very close to this, same brand
    http://www.hthpools.com/~/media/Micr...t_kit_lrg.ashx

The bleach I am using is this
    HDX 121 oz. Germicidal Bleach-23008948211 - The Home Depot

Which kit should I get?

4. Back To Top    #4

The additives in the germicidal bleach is probably causing the foam. Use just regualr bleach without any additives and that problem will go away. And its cheaper than what you're using.

If you really want to take care of your own pool, then a very good test kit is pretty much mandatory.
    TFP recommends either a Taylor K2006 kit or a TF100. The TF100 is only available online at TFTestkits.net or Pool Supplies, Spa Supplies and Parts on the west coast.

The taylor kit can be gotten several places online as well as at tftestkits.net.

The TF100 is the best bang for the buck, because it contains larger quantities of test regent than the Taylor kit does. Having to reorder regeants for the Taylor can be a pain if you run out of something at the wrong time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbbyy View Post
    shoot I am using one of those ****ty ones where you add 5 drops of red and yellow...

The bleach I am using is this
    HDX 121 oz. Germicidal Bleach-23008948211 - The Home Depot

Which kit should I get?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

X2 Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

ditto on the XL option
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

The TF-100 is the best bang for the buck kit.

You should be checking the manufacturing date code on bleach purchases. I've seen some really old stuff at Home Depot. Bleach degrades over time, and faster at hotter temperatures. I look for bleach less than 30 days old.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, grocery store concentrated 8.25% bleach seems to turn over best. I get Kroger store brand
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach