Chlorine and TDS

Oct 29, 2008
When I asked at the pool store about using liquid chlorine (which they do sell and it's about the same price as liquid bleach if you factor in the different concentrations), they told me I shouldn't use liquid chlorine because eventually my total dissolved solids would build up and I'd have to drain the pool.

Considering I've had to drain my pool 2x this week due to high CYA levels from chemicals they recommended over the past 6 months, I'm hesitant to believe them.

Can anyone explain this :?:

The amount that chlorine will add to your TDS is miniscule and will have no appreciable affect on your pool. "They no not from whence they speak"

Additionally, TDS (total dissolved solids) is generally an irrelevant number in pool water care.

MicheleS said:
When I asked at the pool store about using liquid chlorine (which they do sell and it's about the same price as liquid bleach if you factor in the different concentrations), they told me I shouldn't use liquid chlorine because eventually my total dissolved solids would build up and I'd have to drain the pool.

Considering I've had to drain my pool 2x this week due to high CYA levels from chemicals they recommended over the past 6 months, I'm hesitant to believe them.

It won't add anywhere near as much as the hundreds of pounds of salt they would gladly sell you if you bought a chlorine generator from them. The people who educated them on this matter are the same folks that sell them buckets and buckets of tablets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.