Issue with install. Ridges in pool. Post pushing out.

May 30, 2009
Does an above ground oval have "ridges" on the inside of the pool when filled Or did my installers put the buttress posts not spaced apart enough across the pool? I don't know if ridges in the pool are normal or not?

My pool has a slightly "dog boned" shape and inside the pool kind of bumps out between butress posts. It is a 15 x 26 sharkline matrix resin pool. I am posting a picture of before most of the water was in the pool but it hasn't changed much since then. One of my posts at the back of the pool on the right is also bumped out a bit so my installers are going to have to come back anyway and try to fix this. uploadfromtaptalk1433098805030.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433098864200.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433098903200.jpg

Thanks for the reply. ..I stopped filling the pool and will make my installer come back. I have little experience with above ground pools. I would assume they put the buttress rails short of the 15 ft 2 inches spacing required and that is why pool looks like this? Strange though... reading the installation instructions it looks like the straps that connect under the pool only fit a certain way. .makes me wonder how they could possibly get a shorter distance. ..they were using some pretty fancy looking surveyor equipment to level the pool too?

Pigeonlove I am kind of confused. So the ridges are normal I suppose? I searched online and had trouble finding any pictures with ridges like mine online anywhere.

In the pic of the right side you can see the back end is bowed out though. That is still a concern which I am wondering if filling all the way will solve? I will turn the water on since at this point I am most of the way there. I will post a follow up.
Since I had a lot of roots and the installer had to remove some from that back right area he did tell me he would add some extra dirt and tamp in case of settling. Maybe that is causing the issue..we will see. Thanks for the feedback.

It would make me feel better if anyone else can post a pic of the ridges in their AG Oval.

I promise you it's normal :).

When it is full of water it won't be as noticeable outside the pool but they will still be there. I imagine the uprights will also straighten out somewhat when the pool is full. My oval AG is skinnier and longer than yours (steel) and straightened up a bit when filled, your resin pool would be more flexible. I bet the one post that is bothering you will still be slightly off when it's full but oval pools are tough to get just right.

I feel like oval AG people are a minority on here - wish somebody else would back me up on the wall ridge thing ! ;)

I found a pic of johnnysnock's pool as he has an oval,12x24 I believe and he's got ridges in his straight wall. Its normal,for an oval pool to have a slight wave in the straight wall.

Look at the first pic...
Had a visitor yesterday

I am by far an expert but have been reading everything on this site for well over a year. Had my pool an 18'x45' above ground oval put in last year and thanks to this site did everything right from the beginning. I can tel you my pool prior to being filled and settling looked like yours did. The install most likely didn't do the install wrong as the pool walls will push out as the pool fills and settles down. I don't see where you are stating the post has bumped out. If this is the case I would have the installer look at it before you finish filling it. There is no way to move the post once filled. I had a post settle too much and it broke the concrete block it was sitting on a month after my pool was completed. Had to drain and fill it. Not cheap.

One thing I can say is this site is great and loser with information. Started off with the BBB method last year put the stenner pump on this year and can say that the pool is completely clear cheap to run and requires little maintenance. Good luck with your pool it looks great.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this help answer your question? I'm not 100% clear and what you mean by ridges.

b7nlc79dspFSKB1tw1QiMtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

Image doesn't seem to embed properly... try this link: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/b7nlc79dspFSKB1tw1QiMtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup. ..thanks for the feedback. I see the inside ridges aren't that noticeable when the pool is filled. The pool company will be coming tomorrow to address the post that is leaning out on the back right side of my first picture.

Vlad...off topic, but how is that heater working out for you? I thought of buying one of those. How quickly does it heat the water? How expensive to run. Thanks.

Actually it's freaking awesome. If the outside temp is 80 or above it'll do a rise of 2 degrees per hour. The hotter it is the more efficient and vice-versa. I heated the pool starting around the second week of May running the heater and pump from 12:30pm to 2:30pm for around 10 days and 2 days on weekends for 6 hours each day before a party. Took the pool from 58 degrees to 85 degrees (yes my family likes it hot). I have the heater wired to my bsmt apartment meter which we use as pool and BBQ equipment storage so there is no other electricity usage to speak of beside the heater (pump is on my main meter). My May bill was $16 over the basic service charge of $20 that I pay on a monthly basis for what amounts to about 32 hours of heating - $0.50 cents per hour. Considering I saved myself $2000 by not having a gas line run and the fact that NYC has like the second or third highest electricity rates in the country, I think that's pretty good and am totally happy with my decision to get a heat pump over gas.

Now with that being said, if you need to heat your pool very quickly or plan to run it in sub 75 degree outside temperatures on a regular basis, a heat pump is not the right pool heating option for you in my opinion.

Edit: I just looked at your original post and your pool is significantly bigger than mine. Don't expect the same temp rise and cost to run that I quoted but instead as a general guideline.

-Vlad

Thanks Vlad. I would probably go one model up on the heat pump but thanks for giving me a general idea. I live on LI so the electric costs are similar. I am glad to hear the efficiency is good. I still need to have an electrician come put in a line for the pool so now I may hold off on that for just a bit and try to convince my wife that we NEED the heat pump! Then I can get both lines run at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.