Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hayward SWG No longer working?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Hayward SWG No longer working?

I am a newbie so excuse me if I don't have all the right info. Making the attempt to step away from pool store advice. The pool store guy told me that there is a way to determine when my salt cell was made by looking at the serial number? Is this true? We bought this home in December and the previous owners didnt leave us any info about the pool. Over the last few months we've come to the conclusion that they didn't maintain things very well. Supposedly my SWG is no longer generating cholrine?? Trying to figure out if its an old cell or what!

I will post the two pictures here for assistance.

21,205 gallon
    Exposed Aggregate In-ground Pool.
    Hayward SWG, T-9 Cell
    Pool Built in 2010, purchased property December 2014.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward SWG No longer working?

The cell was made in 2013. It has a three year warranty. Can you post the diagnostic readings and the salt level as tested by a drop test or meter?

3. Back To Top    #3

I just joined the forum this weekend and haven't had a chance to order my own test kit yet. I only have my test results from Friday, but I had to shock the pool since then because of a number of problems.
    21,205 gallon
    Hayward SWG, T-9 Cell

4. Back To Top    #4

If you press the diagnostic button in the control box, you can see the diagnostic readings. If you post those, we can tell you if everything is working properly.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is one of the lights on the controller on or off that makes you thing it has stopped working?

also, that T9 is a bit undersized for a 21K gallon pool. It will have to work extra hard to supply enough chlorine.
    If you have to replace the cell, it will worth it in the longrun to upgrade to a T15 cell.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Is one of the lights on the controller on or off that makes you thing it has stopped working?

also, that T9 is a bit undersized for a 21K gallon pool. It will have to work extra hard to supply enough chlorine.
    If you have to replace the cell, it will worth it in the longrun to upgrade to a T15 cell.
    I had my suspicions the cell is small for my pool's size.

My panel shows "check salt" and "inspect cell."
    I added 40lbs of salt earlier today, and I am sure I need more. I'll have to pick some up tomorrow morning.

As far as diagnostics, I have been searching for a manual but can't find one. I don't know what each number means...

21,205 gallon
    Hayward SWG, T-9 Cell

7. Back To Top    #7

Push the diagnostics button and post all of the readings. First, move the switch to off for 1 minute and then move the switch to auto. Wait two minutes and then push the button and record the numbers.

Also, have the salt level tested. Don't rely only on the box readout. I recommend getting a k-1766 salt test kit as well as a tf100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

I dont know if its just the light or what, but it doesnt look like the green POWER light is on?
    can you confirm for us that the Power light is on or is it off?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I'll get the hang of this eventually and I probably wont sound like such an idiot!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    I dont know if its just the light or what, but it doesnt look like the green POWER light is on?
    can you confirm for us that the Power light is on or is it off?
    It's on. The hot Florida sun beaming down and the angle of my picture made it seem like it wasn't.

Going to get the diagnostics now!
    21,205 gallon
    Hayward SWG, T-9 Cell

10. Back To Top    #10

Just a small FYI here. The switch should be on "Auto" for most of the time. I noticed in the photo the switch is in the "Super Chlorinate" position.

Here is the manual : http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual345.pdf
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

11. Back To Top    #11

Diagnostic readings.

100p
    AL- 0
    r 1.58
    upside down F- 9

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the manual, now I understand the diagnostics a little more
    21,205 gallon
    Hayward SWG, T-9 Cell

12. Back To Top    #12

Is that with the switch in the "auto" position?

Also, note that the unit is set to metric. To change to standard, go to temp (showing 33 C) and move the switch from auto to superchlorinate and back to auto.

The average salt is showing 1.1 grams per liter, which should change to 1,100 ppm when you switch to standard mode. That's too low and will cause the unit to shut down. See what the instant salt says and compare it to an independent reliable salt test.

33 c is 91f. Is your water that warm?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Is that with the switch in the "auto" position?

Also, note that the unit is set to metric. To change to standard, go to temp (showing 33 C) and move the switch from auto to superchlorinate and back to auto.

The average salt is showing 1.1 grams per liter, which should change to 1,100 ppm when you switch to standard mode. That's too low and will cause the unit to shut down. See what the instant salt says and compare it to an independent reliable salt test.

33 c is 91f. Is your water that warm?
    Yes, switch was in auto.

Thanks, I just switched it out of Celsius! I appreciate all of the guidance. I know I sound like an idiot right now, I just don't want the pool to be too far gone by the time I figure out how all of this works. Placing an order for testing kit tonight.

Yeah, my pool is that warm. I live in south Florida, no screen enclosure, and get direct son all day long in my backyard. I am thankful that I don't need a heater
    21,205 gallon
    Hayward SWG, T-9 Cell

14. Back To Top    #14

You dont sound like an idiot. You're doing just fine.
    Divin Dave,

15. Back To Top    #15

You dont sound like an idiot. You're doing just fine.
    Lots of us use AquaCheck salt test strips to test the salt level. This should give you at least some indication if your Salt is actually low, as your SWG system indicates, or there is a problem with the T9 cell.

Alternately, as much as I loathe pool stores, they could also test your salt level which would be somewhat accurate.

Personally, I have a Taylor K1766 salt test kit just for the sake of sanity and having a good test result. (The TF100 and Taylor K2006 dont have salt test included).
    Divin Dave,

16. Back To Top    #16

Try this:

Move the switch to off for 5 minutes.
    Then move the switch to auto
    Wait until you hear a click and then scroll through the diagnostics

In any case, you need to have the salt level tested before adding any more.

Use liquid chlorine or regular 8.25% sodium hypochlorite bleach until you get the salt system operational.

17. Back To Top    #17

While you are figuring this out use bleach to keep at least 3 or 4 ppm of chlorine in your pool at all times to avoid algae and a green pool. Chlorine level is determined by CYA legel and the Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Lot's of great advice here. Keep up the good work.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

19. Back To Top    #19

An update. I had the pool store test my water, and I explained that I need it to determine some issues with Hayward. According to the pool store my salt is at 3,400 but my board only reads 1500. So hopefully I can get some more answers today when I call them. Hoping my system is under warranty if there is an issue with the ell or board. I have to put my son down for a nap or I can't talk on the phone. Two year olds can be demanding! I'll update more later when I get more info.
    21,205 gallon
    Hayward SWG, T-9 Cell

20. Back To Top    #20

You need to remove the cell from the plumbing and inspect it for a white buildup on the plates inside the cell. This buildup is calcium and must be removed with water and muriatic acid at a 4 to 1 solution.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast