Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Beach entry pool-silver quartzite tiles with water seepage problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Beach entry pool-silver quartzite tiles with water seepage problem

Hi- I'm back Moved (left lagoon style pool behind) and just finished building 40k+gal beach entry pool. We used the quartzite tiles to blend in the beach entry and raised bond beam area. Didn't realize there would be a seepage problem with the grout until pool filled. I don't like the way it looks and complained to PB. He said we can wait till after swim season and we can drain it down some to seal the grout then. Does this sound like a good idea, and would it effect the pebbletec being dried out for few days? Thank you for any input! Here's couple of pix of the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May 2015 completed- 50'x30' beach entry(26'), two 50' swim lanes, diving board, jump rock, 4'-9.5' depth, 40K+gal salt water, Pentair,Screen logic 2 mobile for intellitouch., intellichlor and intellichem automated system. Jacuzzi JLX cuz we rarely used the last in ground spa :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Beach entry pool-silver quartzite tiles with water seepage problem

I think if it's cool you should be fine. Prolonged exposure in the hot sun wouldn't be so good on it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

does your pic show the seepage? Do you mean where water has migrated up the stone?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Sealing the grout won't work for long.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes Dave- I mean the water creeping up the wet grout. I guess it's all cosmetic, just doesn't look good to me though.
    Smracing- you mean sealing doesn't work? Any other options?

Thx,
    Mary

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I doubt sealing the grout will work at all. The water will migrate up and underneath any sealer you put on it. It might help but I would not be surprised if it does nothing. Unfortunately, I can think of no way to prevent it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll explain what I meant. I have pewter colored grout that matches my plaster. I sealed it with an enhancer that made it darker, better matching the wet plaster. Not a cheap sealer either, Dupont's Stonetech Pro solvent based. It lasts about 3 months, the the grout eventually returns to the unsealed color.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh! I guess I should wait until after swim season and ask PB again. Wish they used a white grout instead of the gray then it wouldn't have been noticeable. My landscaper used white on the stone on the driveway and it looks the same when wet, not darken like the gray. Oh hey, new question- how complicated would it be to change out the top layer of grout?

9. Back To Top    #9

So is it possible/feasible to just replace the top layer of the gray grout and put on white grout which looks fine when wet? And do you seal the quartzite?
    May 2015 completed- 50'x30' beach entry(26'), two 50' swim lanes, diving board, jump rock, 4'-9.5' depth, 40K+gal salt water, Pentair,Screen logic 2 mobile for intellitouch., intellichlor and intellichem automated system. Jacuzzi JLX cuz we rarely used the last in ground spa :)

10. Back To Top    #10

Someone posted on sealing their stone with Dry Treat - would that work on the grout? And does that darken the stone with the wet look- like the pieces in the water? I don't want to darken the "dry" portion of the beach entry that extends into the deck so best not to seal?

11. Back To Top    #11

Looking this over again, I don't think it would bother me at all, especially on the beach entry. I kind of like it there. The walls, maybe I can see that a little, but it wouldn't ruin my enjoyment I don't think.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Well Patrick, I was letting your comment sink in- maybe i'll just get used to it and enjoy. Then today the pool maintenance guy (not ready for hubby to take over) shows up using powder acid to clean the lime or whatever on the beach entry. And he says- didn't they seal this? WAAH