Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help understanding TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help understanding TA?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Adjusting PH requires knowing at least your TA level. Then plug you numbers into the Pool Calculator and see what it says. For large PH changes it is best to add about half of what it recommends, give it half and hour to an hour to mix in, test PH again, and continue adjusting from there.
    I'm trying to understand water chemistry. What does 'TA' stand for?

I'm seeing it in all of my searches. I am trying to lower the ph considerably in a ~6000 gallon above ground pool.

Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to lower PH

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2015 View Post
    I'm trying to understand water chemistry. What does 'TA' stand for?

I'm seeing it in all of my searches. I am trying to lower the ph considerably in a ~6000 gallon above ground pool.

Thank you.

TA - Total Alkalinity

Total alkalinity indicates the water's ability to buffer PH changes. Buffering means you need to use a larger quantity of a chemical to change the PH. At low TA levels, the PH tends to swing around wildly. At high TA levels, the PH tends to drift up.

You can raise TA with baking soda. It is often best to make large TA adjustments in a couple of steps, testing the water after each one, as adding large quantities of baking soda can raise the PH a little and you don't want the PH going out of range.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How to lower PH

Have a look at this for an intro to pool water chemistry, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach