Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chem geek

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

chem geek

In the wee hours this AM, chem geek made his 10,000th post.

That's a milestone for a couple of reasons.

1. 10,000 posts is a ton of effort over a long time and indicates a dedicated, contributing member

2. It's an even bigger milestone because of chem geeks very special knowledge he brings to the forum.

chem geek and I knock heads every now and then but I will tell you I have never met a more sincere person or a person that has contributed more to the technical aspects of what we teach.

The FC/CYA chart is a chem geek credit. He didn't just copy the chart but rather did the math and calculations to make the chart possible.

Each time we need a detailed explanation of chemistry, he is on the spot with precision and acumen that is untouched. Much of what we teach is a direct result of his (and JasonLion's) contributions.

I hope the rest of you will chime in and stop to remember how important his contributions to this forum are. I am going to keep my thoughts brief but I hope this thread is ongoing for the rest of the day......maybe into tomorrow.

Thanks, Richard!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chem geek

Congratulations to chem geek. I have learned so much from him. Thank you.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

That IS a huge accomplishment, because his posts are generally lengthy. One of his is easily worth twenty of mine.

You all do know that he was the model for this, right?

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, since it's been mentioned, I have a confession to make. chem geek is my hero!

There are only a handful of people in the world that I have the same respect for, as I do Richard. The guy rocks and that's all there is to it!

If it weren't for his scientific analysis and attention to detail, I probably would not have become a mainstay here at TFP.
    I love science and whether I understand it or not, I firmly believe in it, and if you can't prove it to me, then its just water off another ducks back.
    Richard proved it, and for that, I and I'm sure 1000s of others are grateful.

10,000 posts, and with the detail he involves, I would imagine on average 15 minutes per post (conservatively) to type and link, and calculate and post.

Thats conservatively 150,000 minutes, 2,500 hours, 104.16 24 hour days... it's mind boggling the time and knowledge he has given us.

Richard,... Thank You!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Congratulations on the accomplishment chem geek.

chemgeek.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

I am in awe every time I read one of chem geek's posts. Even when they are way over my head! His knowledge is impressive to say the least.

Thank you chem geek for everything!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

The Gin clear water in my pool is the result of his dedication and effort, I thank you Sir. Thank you for your time and knowledge.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Congrats on the milestone ChemGeek!!!

And thank you for your contributions. Your posts were some of the first that I saw when I came on here with a hazy pool and I remember many of your posts verbatim

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

9. Back To Top    #9

I lurked on TFP and the PoolForum for years. ChemGeek's work should be required reading for anyone interested in pool water chemistry and his cool and crisp writing style brings a level of scientific rigor typically only found in the best scientific journals. His willingness to field questions and correct rookie mistakes in chemistry is a testament to his sincerity and dedication.

Congratulations and THANK YOU!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

Congratulations, that is quite an accomplishment.

While admittedly many of your posts fly right over my head, the chemistry details you bring are what gives this method legs to stand on. And for that we THANK YOU!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

He is one of the best out there. He knows what he is talking about AND is able to share it in such a way that anyone can understand it!

THANKS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for everything you do, chemgeek. Your contributions are very valuable and appreciated.

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow. Thanks everyone. I had no idea I had just passed that 10,000 post milestone. I appreciate all of your sentiments/comments. I learn a lot as well and I also make the occasional mistake and though I often discover and recover before someone catches it, I appreciate when James and others find it or add additional info (preferably from scientific papers in respected peer-reviewed journals, of course ). There are so many people that contribute to this forum in so many different ways, but there are others such as Jason and Mark and onBalance and ... (many others so no offense if not listed) who have spent a lot of time building up a vast database of knowledge and facts here on this forum.

Chemistry is my main focus, but there is so much more needed in building and maintaining a pool including electrical, pumps, and plaster, let alone comparing brands. No one person could possibly be an expert in all such areas so this is very much a team effort. And this is just the scientific foundation -- the vast majority of pool owners don't care about that nor want to know about it so there are many people here who translate the core into easy-to-understand and easy-to-implement guidelines that are both practical and useful.

And Dave is to be credited for keeping this place civil. So many forums and other online groups devolve into shouting matches or inappropriate content. Keeping this place friendly is a big part of its success.

So again, thank you.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

chem geek: You, sir, are a steely-eyed scientist!

10,000 posts...there's currently only 8 members in that elite club. What I find just as remarkable as his in-depth knowledge on all things chemistry-related is his zen-like demeanor. He will stay with a user who is really trying to resolve a problem but, for whatever reason, seems to be stuck in neutral. In addition, he will educate someone who is making false statements and do it in such a way that does not come off as condescending. Of course, we all enjoy the occasional post where he puts a particularly recalcitrant member in their place.

Of all the articles/links I have referenced in my posts, I'm willing to bet that the Chlorine CYA Chart is probably the one I've referenced the most. Pool owners that understand this one concept will avoid a majority of problems that plague those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave
    The guy rocks and that's all there is to it!
    I'll second that!

Thank you Richard for all your contributions to the world of pool management. Look forward to continuing to see you on the forum!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

15. Back To Top    #15

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

16. Back To Top    #16

Meh....he's alright.

Congrats!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Congrats, Chem Geek!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks for everything Chem Geek. You have helped me more than once. That is a lot of typing you have been doing!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

I appreciate Chem Geek for putting the smack down on people who argue with TFP philosophy. "Oh yeah?? Check this out" :firehoseofscience:
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks Chem Geek! You are a righteous dude! LOL!
    Intex 24'x12'x52" Ultra Frame (2014), 8400 gallons (31800 litres), Intex sand filter and pump, Intex SWG, AquaBot Pura4xi, solar blanket. Proud owner of Hydropool Serenity 5 Hot Tub! Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast