Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a 7 y.o. used Doughboy a good deal at $150? 14'x42"?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a 7 y.o. used Doughboy a good deal at $150? 14'x42"?

I just looked on Craigslist and saw a used Doughboy 14'x42" above ground pool of course needs liner and pump. It's a 3 hour drive from my house, but a nice drive. The man doesn't know the style name. He said the metal is worth the price of $150

We were looking at an `18'x42" size but figured maybe this is a way to get our feet wet for a first pool. We have a Doughboy dealer 45 mins from us so we could get parts
    Used pool 1995 Lomart 18'x48" just installed 7/16/2015, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP 2 speed pump, 16" Rx Clear Radiant sand filter ( used pea gravel and zeolite) foam wall, polystyrene bottom, liner 25 gauge overlap, TF-100 test kit. Son training for 2018 Paralympics, Hoping for solar heater of some sort. Good chance Labrador will be in pool. Colorado Prairie, 6000 ft elevation high mountain desert, clay soil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is a 7 y.o. used Doughboy a good deal at $150? 14'x42"?

Is it still put together or taken apart.

If it is still standing, I would offer the fuel to get there and labor to take it down and haul away and not a penny more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Doughboys are the best - do it!
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool is dismantled-metal wall is rolled tight, all parts except for a few screws are there. Ladders there too. Part of the ladder is that stair like one-looks like a good quality one. All I would have to do is load on a trailer. I recognized the pattern on the pool as one I saw at the doughboy dealer. It was tan faux wood panel. We plan on making a day trip to hot springs near by, check pool quality and if ok load up and drive home. If it not good we had a day at the hot springs.

One think he mentioned was there is a crease in the metal wall but when it's erect it didn't effect the pool holding water. Any thoughts on this wrinkle?
    Used pool 1995 Lomart 18'x48" just installed 7/16/2015, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP 2 speed pump, 16" Rx Clear Radiant sand filter ( used pea gravel and zeolite) foam wall, polystyrene bottom, liner 25 gauge overlap, TF-100 test kit. Son training for 2018 Paralympics, Hoping for solar heater of some sort. Good chance Labrador will be in pool. Colorado Prairie, 6000 ft elevation high mountain desert, clay soil

5. Back To Top    #5

Tricky ..... I would probably make the same offer that JBLizzle would.... Risky without seeing it running... a few missing parts or panels = $$$$
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

6. Back To Top    #6

You're taking a huge gamble when they are already torn down. I'd rather tear one done than have one already to go. I want to know every part is there once I hand the money over.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I could get a parts list from the dealer and do a check off. He could sell it for scrap metal and get close to that price maybe. It may be worth a trip since there are hot springs in the town.

8. Back To Top    #8

My Doughboy is 20 years old, I picked it up from the back of a barn in a pile. Part of it was melted in a FIRE! I sent an email to Doughboy and in a couple days had an original set of installation instructions. I put the thing up by myself and this will be my third summer with it - swam in it last Friday. $150 isn't even a good grocery trip, do it!

-Annie the Enabler
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

9. Back To Top    #9

We purchased a used 15 year old 28' Doughboy last year off of Craigslist for $1000. It had already been taken down, lying in a shed covered in red clay. It was a shot in the dark but having owned a Doughboy years ago I was willing to take the chance because they are great pools. When we met with the people that had it we talked to them a long time and just had a good vibe they were good honest people. Luckily we were right and we're on summer #2 with it. Here's a picture of after it was put up and the dirty mess before:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28ft Doughboy AG 18,000 Gallons installed July 2014 / Pentair SD60 Sand Filter / Baracuda Ranger Vacuum / Pentair Aqualuminator / TF100 Test Kit / Hot Springs Envoy Hot Tub
    My Build: 28 ft Doughboy install w/stamped patio FINALLY complete-LOTS OF PICS :)

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks all, I have doughboy researching for instructions. So far they thought it might be a Lowmart made by them also. Though I distinctly saw the same side wall pattern at doughboy dealer. I made arrangements for an open utility trailer and he will meet me at the main highway. I am getting a good vibe from him.

11. Back To Top    #11

My Lomart has the "wood paneling" metal wall.
    Lomart 18x48 AGP 7000Gal
    Hayward S210T w/Hayward 1hp Power-Flo Matrix Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 w/Speedstir!

12. Back To Top    #12

We bought our doughboy used for twice that, put a new liner and top rails on and this is our 2nd season we love it. I did manage to put a couple small creases in the wall durring installation and until reading this post, forgot all about them, you cant even tell where they were at. Also if you need parts ive found midwest pools (mwpools.com) have most lomart parts that are the same as doughboy at very reasonable prices.

13. Back To Top    #13

About a month ago I saw a Doughboy for sale on Craigslist, a big beautiful oval. Somebody had told this guy that ABG pools couldn't be moved so he took an ax to it and ripped holes through the wall in several places to "let the water out" and he was selling it for parts. The pool was almost identical to mine so I wrote him an email...then deleted it because I realized I wouldn't be able to deal calmly with anyone who who would trash a nice pool like that.

Good luck with your new pool project Tere, it will be frustrating at times but so worth it in the end! ...and if you need parts keep cruising CL/ebay and they will appear!