Pool deck flush mount junction box for low voltage light

May 31, 2015
New York
Hi folks

here is my situation
during the winter, the expanding ice cracked my LED light assembly (fiberstars) right off the pool wall.
Unfortunately the junction box and transformer is some 30 feet away under all the unistone blocks. The conduit does have any slack and I cannot run a new wire.

I would like to install a flush mount junction box right near the pool bullnose. It will obviously avoid a lot of digging and simply servicing the light in the future.

After a a bit a research is seems that junction boxes have to be 4 inches above the pool deck.

My question is : does this apply to a low voltage circuit? The 12v transformer is safely up on the wall near the pump at 42"

also flush mount junction boxes seem to be hard to find. Any suggestions ?

thanks all

Canuck26, it appears you haven't received a reply yet on your post about your junction box. Not sure if you have resolved your issue by now, but this reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. We apologize for the delay, and thank you for checking-in with TFP. Have a great day.

I missed this one before, thanks for bringing it back up Pat

The National Electrical Code prohibits a luminary junction box from being flush with the pool deck and that close to the water.

Here is the specific language
(2) Installation.
(a) Vertical Spacing. The junction box shall not be located less than 4 in. above the ground or pool, outdoor spa, or hot tub deck, or not less than 8 in. above the maximum water level.
(b) Horizontal Spacing. The junction box shall be located not less than 4 ft from the inside wall of the pool, outdoor spa or hot tub, unless separated by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier.

So it has to be 4" above the deck, at least 8" above the maximum water level and at least 4 feet from the waters edge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.