Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too big??

1. Back To Top    #1

Too big??

Hi..I'm new to the thread and need some advice. We are looking at doing a 18x46x 20x40 L shape pool. We have 5 kids and want a deep and separate shallow end for volleyball and game area. We are doing underliner steps that will take up 4 feet in the shallow area, so that leaves 36 feet off playing area? I'm getting nervous because everyone keeps telling us that is a huge pool. Now I'm thinking we should make it smaller. Any suggestions???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too big??

I am not sure I have ever read a post complaining that their pool was too big.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The only issue with having large pool is the $$. At first it is more expensive to build. Then after that more chemicals, and higher electric bill. We built a large pool for my area and EVERY sub that came out mentioned the size of it. Ignore what everyone says they don't know what you want or need.

An average large pool in my area is 18x36 around 16k gallons

My pool is a freeform "lap pool" 50x17 (17 feet being the average the widest point is 22 and narrowest 10)
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd say if it's in your budget, go for it! ..... and post pics when it's done! I'd love to see that one. Our pool is rectangular 16 x 40. We wanted straight sides as to not interfere with swimming laps, and also be able to play games (volleyball). It's 7' at the deep end, but we don't dive. Last weekend we had about 12 people over for Memorial Day with no problem. Works well for us, but you know your family's demands better than anyone, so go with what your gut tells you. If you can afford the construction of a pool this size, chances are a little more chlorine or couple bucks a day in electricity isn't going to phase you. Sounds like a heck of a project. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I am not sure I have ever read a post complaining that their pool was too big.
    Factually, I can say the same......never heard it on this forum in 8 years.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l-Size-matters

no such thing...5 kids, 1 or 2 friends per child for bdays, swim overs, holidays...no such thing as too big
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

7. Back To Top    #7

We are in the middle of construction on a 42x16 27x18 true L and everybody that has been over has told us its huge.

Then the next sentence out of their mouths is its going to be awesome.

Do what makes sense for you and your family.

8. Back To Top    #8

My only concern on a pool that size, particularly an L shape is keeping an eye on all the kids at once.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

To me, paint the planned pool area in yrou yard, and make sure that you will end up with enough yard/patio left to make you happy. As long as that it true, your pool will not be too big.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

no such thing as a too big pool!

If you have the space and the budget, go for it !! I will be glad you did.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

As long as all the systems are sized to support a pool that size, I say go for it.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks everyone! We marked it off in our yard today and I think we have decided on 18x42x18x38. It seems like plenty of room for our family. We meet with the pool place on Wednesday and hope to have it finalized by the end of the week. I need to ask suggestions on pumps. One place recommended 1hp and the other 1 1/2. We are going with salt water because I'm worried about our blonde hair. I have never owned a pool and I'm overwhelmed with hoping I don't make a bad choice I will regret later.

13. Back To Top    #13

Blond hair turns green due to copper ... not chlorine. And a salt water pool IS a chlorine pool. So I think you may be misinformed about something there.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

If you stick with us here at TFP you cannot go wrong.

Blonde hair + copper is a big problem! It is not the chlorine that turns hair green.

Salt Water is still a chlorine pool. You just add less as the salt generates chlorine so........

I can't wait to see pics! Go ahead and take a pic of your backyard with the paint so we can see it now!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I tried getting a better picture but I couldn't get it all. The bottom right flag is to the right of the tree.

16. Back To Top    #16

That yard is MADE for a BIG pool! This is going to be fun to watch!

Now before you sign anything show us the details and we will make sure everything is as it should be. We love to help others spend their money! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks Kim! I'm so glad I found this forum. Here is the proposal we have. We are changing the size some from what he bid..just a little smaller. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. I'm a newbie at this whole pool thing, so suggestions from the pros will be greatly appreciated!!

18. Back To Top    #18

Is that 3' of decking? I think you are going to want more than 3' of decking, possibly a lot more.
    16x24 shotcrete pool with plaster; ~ 11,000 gallons; Hayward MaxFlo XL 1 hp pump; Hayward Pro-Series Top Mount Sand Filter; Hayward Turbocell SWG; Hayward ColorLogic LED light; Hayward AquaPlus Automation Panel; TF 100 Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Maybe I am reading it wrong but looks like an extra zero snuck in the total cost there, cost jumped from $42K to $428K for the provided permit and included tax. Ha.

All kidding aside, you might look into a bigger heater. 250k btus is pretty small for that pool. And definitely consider a two speed motor vs. single speed.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

This is what the pool company is providing and we will hire someone else to do all our extra at a much lower price.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be one expensive pool! Lol!! I wondered about both the heater size and speed and was gonna discuss with them tomorrow in our meeting. Another company had a 35,000 btu and a 1 1/2 De but didn't say speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast