Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tf-100 calcium hardness test

1. Back To Top    #1

Tf-100 calcium hardness test

Quick question, I watched a youtube video showing how to perform the calcium hardness test, which ask to fill the water to the 25 ML mark not the 10 ML mark as the directions on the TF-100 kit. Also it ask for 20 drops of R-0010 instead of 10 drops and 5 drops of R-0011L instead of 3 drops. Why? I understand that is a matter of ratios, but the ratio seems to be off, as if 10 ML requires 3 drops, 25 ML shall require more than 5 drops as 25 ML is more than double 10 ML so it shall be the drops required to perform the test correctly. I know I shall trust the TF-100 kit directions over a youtube video, but just wanted to confirm just in case.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tf-100 calcium hardness test

Either way is fine. There is no need to have more precision that 25ppm in most cases, thus the TF-100 recommendation.

The ratios of the reagents does not really matter. You can actually use as much of the die reagent you want to have deeper colors.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason thanks for the quick response!
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have astronomical CH, as I do, the smaller sample saves a huge amount of reagent and time. If I used the large sample and had to swirl it manually instead of using the speedstir, I'd look like Popeye now.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I see. One more questions when looking at the tube. Do I look at the color change from the top and through the side? I notice the colors look difference based on the angle you looking at.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RESISTENCIA13 View Post
    I see. One more questions when looking at the tube. Do I look at the color change from the top and through the side? I notice the colors look difference based on the angle you looking at.
    I've only ever looked through the side while it's sitting on the patio table on the speedstir in front of me. It'll be sky blue. About this color
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

It does not matter what the final color is. Always add drops until the last one causes no further color change and then do not count that drop.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    It does not matter what the final color is. Always add drops until the last one causes no further color change and then do not count that drop.
    That's true. I know from experience that when CH is astronomical, it will sit at Indigo for quite a while before it goes blue. That's why I mentioned sky blue.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I've only ever looked through the side while it's sitting on the patio table on the speedstir in front of me. It'll be sky blue. About this color
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks