Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: clueless please help!

1. Back To Top    #1

portland or

clueless please help!

Hello my name is greg and I'm new to the forum and new to pool maintenence. I have a 2500 gal above ground pool and really don't even know where to start. I bought test strips, chlorine tablets and shock treatment. Ph is about 7. I understand the target numbers but I'm not sure how to get there.

2. Back To Top    #2

Shallotte, NC

Re: clueless please help!

Hi Greg, and welcome.

First, you need to spend some time in Pool School.... a tab in this forum, just click on it, get a cold beverage and spend a lot of time reading. There, you will find that we don't do test strips, chlorine tablets, or shock treatment. Probably one of the first things you should tackle is getting a proper test kit, because with out that (and good test results) *you* won't know what to do and we won't know how to advise you.

Please add your information to your signature.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Greg, welcome to the forum,

We have some special suggestions for that type of pool, and you can read about it in the link below. Check it out, and come back and post any questions you might still have. Good to have you aboard.

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum.

ewkearns is spot on the money. It's a pretty big leap to embrace what we teach but, if you read the threads in here, you will become a believer.

All of our advice and teachings comes from testing your pool precisely.....the strips simply do not provide the accuracy and consistency you need.

I would suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It's a great foundation and will lead to many questions all of which we will answer.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School