clueless please help!

May 31, 2015
portland or
Hello my name is greg and I'm new to the forum and new to pool maintenence. I have a 2500 gal above ground pool and really don't even know where to start. I bought test strips, chlorine tablets and shock treatment. Ph is about 7. I understand the target numbers but I'm not sure how to get there.

Hi Greg, and welcome.

First, you need to spend some time in Pool School.... a tab in this forum, just click on it, get a cold beverage and spend a lot of time reading. There, you will find that we don't do test strips, chlorine tablets, or shock treatment. Probably one of the first things you should tackle is getting a proper test kit http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison, because with out that (and good test results) *you* won't know what to do and we won't know how to advise you.

Please add your information to your signature.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

ewkearns is spot on the money. It's a pretty big leap to embrace what we teach but, if you read the threads in here, you will become a believer.

All of our advice and teachings comes from testing your pool precisely.....the strips simply do not provide the accuracy and consistency you need.

I would suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It's a great foundation and will lead to many questions all of which we will answer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.