finalizeing planning -tanning ledge or not? diving board ???

May 30, 2015
Cincinnati OH
looking to build 20 by 40 or 22 by 44 size mountain oasis pool with tanning ledge///for those of you who have them do you like them? use it a lot?
what about diving board? I know a lot of people are not installing but I have a 12 year old son who really wants one-thinking of the interfab board with the waterfall.

also- can you use steel walls with a salt water system with a bio -guard system?

who loves their salt water system?

Thanks so much-

The vast majority of the folks here use salt water systems. I caution you that the "BioGuard" pool care systems are great for the pool store and costly for you.

Think of it in mediacl terms, for every name brand drug there is a generic substitute. The pool store want you on a "system" so they can keep selling you the high priced stuff when our method of pool care has shown that the stuff you need are available at the local grocery store, big box hardware store or WalMart.

You are doing a great job by researching before you get the pool and fall into the traps set by the stores. Most folks here spend less than $50 a month on their pool and if you do go salt that may drop to less than $20 a month.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results

Also in the Cincinnati area. For me I love the tanning ledge that did. You can see a picture by clicking HERE. The stairs in our pool have the vinyl over the stairs, and we took the top stair and turned it into a tanning ledge (its size is 9 feet wide by 6 feet front to back). People hang out in that area all the time, and by building it into the steps, it was very affordable.

As for the diving board, check with your insurance company, as some will refuse to cover boards. My general stance on them is that they are a waste of money. Home diving boards are not really springy like at a public YMCA pool, so you cant really do tricks on them. So why not save the $1000, use it for something else, and have kids jump off the side of the pool.

I dont have a SWG, so I cannot comment on that. If you get a leak, then the salt will corrode the steel walls. Maybe take the diving board money and upgrade to polymer walls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.