Memorable Hand Print

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
My wife and kids want to put a handprint on the plaster to remember the date the pool was constructed. My wife is mentioning maybe putting it on the sunshelf which has eight inches of water, or maybe a step. Has anyone done this? Does it make any sense to put the handprint under water?

Thanks

I would not as the plaster is only 1/8" to 3/16" thick. At the pint on the handprint it would be almost 0" thick. Unless the plaster guys have a good grasp of this and can make the plaster thicker throughout that area for you to then reduce. Overall I wouldn't do it though. I'd save that type of memory for concrete decking.

Here's a different idea.... I'm not good at the details, so maybe you or others can chime in on the hows of the end product.

Make a handprint and/or date in a mosaic out of glass tiles or beads made to use in pools. Get the sticky mesh used for such tiles, trace the hand, cut the mesh, and hot glue the stones. The plaster guys have installed tile mosaics and will know how to do that part.

Some of the people on TFP will give me a hard time for this suggestion, because I'm CRAZY over LightStreams glass. But.... if I were in your shoes, I would call them and tell them what you are wanting to do. This is an extremely friendly company that design and produce exquisite glass tiles specifically for pool and other water applications. The tiles are polished such that all edges are smooth and safe.

Ask for David Knox the designer or for Brian, his brother. Ask if they could give you suggestions on how best to do this. Here is their website: * Lightstreams Glass Tile | Shell Beach Glass Pool Step Tile. It will take you to their Shell Beach collections which shows the pieces on the mesh that I mentioned. If you do want to order the glass, they may be willing to hand select the smaller pieces you would need and maybe even the colors (bright colors or subtle colors). Brian knows me pretty well, so if you talk to him, tell him I sent you. (I've only spoken to David once.)

Like I said, they are soooooo nice, that they may just offer suggestions without you placing an order. I would also ask what glue they use to stick the pieces onto the mesh.

You can PM me if you need more info, or would like for me to contact Brian for you.

If this is really out in left field...... maybe it will spur another creative idea.

Now that I think about it..... :scratch: I might look into this, hmmmmmm... Take care! Suz.

My daughter's handprints, name and the year of construction are on the deck, indented at the base of the slide. My neighbor's daughter's handprints are IN the pool, on the first step - because she stained the new plaster when she touched it with the palms of her hands. Having both, I prefer the ones on the deck. :p

do u think u'll stay in the house forever? if not, the next owners might prefer it on the deck than in the water. easier to cover up on the deck. we're staying in the house forever, is the plan, and i wanted to do this but with a coping only pool and a small detached marbella deck i don't see anywhere to do it. even the pad for the pool equipment was a slab of concrete that they brought instead of laying it. slab was a bit too small, too. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At some point we will move but I generally try not to worry about what the new owners may think. Nevertheless I will look for a place on the deck based on everyone's advice. Although we do have a rock on the edge of our Grotto thatbus hakf in and half outside the water. I am considering plastering the top of the Rock and doing it there. But Im not sure if the plaster could drop into the pool at some point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.