Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Memorable Hand Print

1. Back To Top    #1

Memorable Hand Print

My wife and kids want to put a handprint on the plaster to remember the date the pool was constructed. My wife is mentioning maybe putting it on the sunshelf which has eight inches of water, or maybe a step. Has anyone done this? Does it make any sense to put the handprint under water?

Thanks
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Memorable Hand Print

I would not as the plaster is only 1/8" to 3/16" thick. At the pint on the handprint it would be almost 0" thick. Unless the plaster guys have a good grasp of this and can make the plaster thicker throughout that area for you to then reduce. Overall I wouldn't do it though. I'd save that type of memory for concrete decking.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

handprint in the plaster would also collect dirt that would be more visible.
    Do it on the deck!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Agree with the above.

Neat and cute idea. Just do it on the deck. I did my dog's print on the equipment pad.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Appreciate the advice. Thanks
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Here's a different idea.... I'm not good at the details, so maybe you or others can chime in on the hows of the end product.

Make a handprint and/or date in a mosaic out of glass tiles or beads made to use in pools. Get the sticky mesh used for such tiles, trace the hand, cut the mesh, and hot glue the stones. The plaster guys have installed tile mosaics and will know how to do that part.

Some of the people on TFP will give me a hard time for this suggestion, because I'm CRAZY over LightStreams glass. But.... if I were in your shoes, I would call them and tell them what you are wanting to do. This is an extremely friendly company that design and produce exquisite glass tiles specifically for pool and other water applications. The tiles are polished such that all edges are smooth and safe.

Ask for David Knox the designer or for Brian, his brother. Ask if they could give you suggestions on how best to do this. Here is their website: * Lightstreams Glass Tile | Shell Beach Glass Pool Step Tile. It will take you to their Shell Beach collections which shows the pieces on the mesh that I mentioned. If you do want to order the glass, they may be willing to hand select the smaller pieces you would need and maybe even the colors (bright colors or subtle colors). Brian knows me pretty well, so if you talk to him, tell him I sent you. (I've only spoken to David once.)

Like I said, they are soooooo nice, that they may just offer suggestions without you placing an order. I would also ask what glue they use to stick the pieces onto the mesh.

You can PM me if you need more info, or would like for me to contact Brian for you.

If this is really out in left field...... maybe it will spur another creative idea.

Now that I think about it..... I might look into this, hmmmmmm... Take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

My daughter's handprints, name and the year of construction are on the deck, indented at the base of the slide. My neighbor's daughter's handprints are IN the pool, on the first step - because she stained the new plaster when she touched it with the palms of her hands. Having both, I prefer the ones on the deck.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ack! Does she have Captains Hooks for hands now?
    Howdy again neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by tylerlisal View Post
    My neighbor's daughter's handprints are IN the pool, on the first step - because she stained the new plaster when she touched it with the palms of her hands.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL, Dave, she's one of those really good kids that leaves an impression wherever she she goes - at least, that's what I told her, after I calmed down!! And howdy back to you, hope you are enjoying the sunshine today!!

10. Back To Top    #10

do u think u'll stay in the house forever? if not, the next owners might prefer it on the deck than in the water. easier to cover up on the deck. we're staying in the house forever, is the plan, and i wanted to do this but with a coping only pool and a small detached marbella deck i don't see anywhere to do it. even the pad for the pool equipment was a slab of concrete that they brought instead of laying it. slab was a bit too small, too.
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

11. Back To Top    #11

At some point we will move but I generally try not to worry about what the new owners may think. Nevertheless I will look for a place on the deck based on everyone's advice. Although we do have a rock on the edge of our Grotto thatbus hakf in and half outside the water. I am considering plastering the top of the Rock and doing it there. But Im not sure if the plaster could drop into the pool at some point.