Water under pool but no leak

May 31, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Glutton for punishment that I am.... I am on my 5th Intex above ground pool. I had a similar "issue" with my last one before the seam exploded: Water seems to be leaking out from under the pool but the pool water has not changed, I put down a tarp, and I have sealed all the seams long before putting water in it. What's going on? Am I "squeezing" out water that's in the ground or on the pool (it tends to rain whenever I get ready to set up a pool)?

Thanks for any help!

Hello JM. Interesting question. When you say leaking, is it a constant flow, or just a saturated area? If you suspected a leak, one of the most common ways to check is with the bucket test. Are you familiar with that test? At least it would rule-out any pool-specific leak, although you seem confident your pool is not actively leaking right? Besides the tarp, did you put anything on/around the posts, just in case the pool might have pinched one of the post bases? Have you received much rain lately? Here in Texas, our ground is so saturated that even a little pressure or repetitive walking in an area causes water to squeeze its way to the surface. Just some of my thoughts out loud, others may have more advice for you.

I noticed water coming out from under the pool as we started to fill it last night. I decided to stop filling, measure the water level and see if it drops over night. I came out this morning, more water coming out from under the pool but the water level is the same.
Its 16x48 so I don't want to fill it up and THEN have a problem, lol

This has happened to us each year we fill it. I think it is condensation or something -- it eventually dried up and we never had a liner problem. You could use food coloring along the part where the water is showing up -- search on here for how. Also, at night if you go along the outside edge with a flashlight it is easy to see if water is squirting from a pinhole. I don't know how to know if a bottom seam is compromised, other than to measure if you are losing water with no other explanation.

I had the same issue when filling our pool last week.
I had already repaired a couple of holes and thoroughly inspected the rest of the pool and found no more so I started filling.
The next morning there was quite a bit of water on the ground cover at the back of the pool and I was concerned it was another leak but couldn't find a source.
It seemed like more water than would be from condensation but after leaving the pool for the day it dried up and the walls stopped sweating as badly and I realized it had been condensation.
The air temperature had been quite warm those couple of days and the humidity was relatively high so that it likely what did it.

If your pool has already been filled and the water has warmed that is likely not the culprit though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.