Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tripping Circuit

1. Back To Top    #1

Tripping Circuit

We have an inground pool and my husband is attempting to open the pool for the first time. He has assembled the filter, removed all line plugs, greased o rings etc.

The problem. When filter is switched on, the fuse pops. Not sure if this is a result of not attaching ground wire to the pump. Does the pump motor need to be grounded? By the way, there is green grounding wire that lies very close to the pump motor, leading us to believe it needs to be attached. It is a centurion switchless motor.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tripping Circuit

That wire is a bonding ware, and yse it should be connected to a lug on the top of the motor. But, that generally will not cause a breaker to trip.

A photo or two of the equipment and a little more information on your pool may help us point you in the right direction.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Tim, the one HP motor shown seems to have a grounding wire attachment - which i think I am pointing to. It's a MagneTek Centurion. I had unclamped it to see that the impeller was spinning freely. That gasket was tricky when pitting back together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the breaker trip immediately or a few seconds after you start the pump?

30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by scott39 View Post
    Does the breaker trip immediately or a few seconds after you start the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scott,

The breaker trip's immediately, so the pump does not even start. That said, the first time I started the pump, I could hear it working. But I turned the pump off after a few seconds because I had not filled the pre-filter with the gallon or so of water that needs. So I filled the pre-filter. When I then tried to start the pump (and every time thereafter) the breaker trip'ed the instant I flip the power stitch on.
    25 thousand gallon in ground 19 by 38 with concrete bottom - everything about 20 years old. One HP Hayward - DE system. Aqua Rite (Hayward) Electronic chlorine generator (Salt water set up). Next mod - pebble tech or the like bottom treatment

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like a short somewhere if it trips instantly. Especially if you can turn the impeller by hand (only do that with the power off!)

30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

7. Back To Top    #7

Can check junction boxes for touching wires, bare insulation on wires, water in junction boxes, etc.