Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wrong Arm&Hammer Box - Detergent

1. Back To Top    #1

Wrong Arm&Hammer Box - Detergent

So embarrassed to be seeking help. In trying to bring my TA up I reached for a box of Arm&Hammer that was in my garage, opened it and added to pool - in copious amounts. Smelled a little like a laundry room and much to my surprise, I had selected the detergent, not bicarb.

Needless to say I have a foaming pool. My question is to anyone who can give me advice on how to correct this. Or, if I can do anything about it besides drain the pool? Will this detergent cause any problems?

22000 gal
    chlorine and sand filter

Thanks so much for any advice.

Jean

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wrong Arm&Hammer Box - Detergent

Welcome to the forum..

Sorry to hear about your trouble, but I am sure you are beating yourself up more than we can. Not much you can do out side of a drain, but that's pretty drastic. Elevated FC levels will get the soap broken down in time, but other than doing either of these, there just isn't much that can be done now. Someone else may have a better suggestion, but sorry I don't.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you're the second one to do that in the last couple weeks. I believe I remember correctly from the previous thread that the chlorine will break it down. It will just take a little time. Look at the bright side, no more doing laundry. Just jump in the pool with your clothes on.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

First, have everyone in the family put on their dirty clothes and jump in! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that one. Rest assured, you are NOT the only one who has done something like that. Other than perhaps trying to scoop-out some of the foam, I'm not aware of anything specific you can/need to do to the water until it settles a bit and you can test it accurately. Those with sand filtration systems may have more advice though. Best of luck to you Jean. Put this one in your "Remember back when ....?" memory banks.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Others on the forum have mentioned a pool product that is good at breaking down enzymes......applicable to detergents. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of that product but I bet someone else does and will chime in.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Jean,
    well, its not the first time this has happened. As duraleigh mentions, there is something that can help break down the enzymes. I will look around for that and post back

EDIT:
    After doing some googling, it appears the best thing to do is simply to elevate the FC to shock level and keep running your filter.
    Time will be your friend. Laundry detergent will raise your pH substantially, so test your pH regularly and maintain it between 7.2 and 7.8
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Others on the forum have mentioned a pool product that is good at breaking down enzymes......applicable to detergents. just googled it...Pool Perfect.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank all of you for your quick responses. Also for the humor, as you can imagine, I need right now.

I had read in some forum about aerating to tackle foam in some other context. Turned my spa jet on about an hour ago and the foam is disappearing - almost gone. However, it is a relief that no one said that I had to drain the pool.

Thank you again for the many comments and especially the smiley faces.

I will keep reading posts here as I feel that I am in the right forum. Who knows, maybe someday I will have an answer for someone else.

Jean

9. Back To Top    #9

Super chlorination yesterday afternoon probably helped a lot too.

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad to hear you are more relieved about it all. No major harm was done at that is good to know. Just watch this forum down the road to see when one of us makes a similar mistake so you can have a chuckle at our expense. Enjoy your swimming season!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

You are NOT the first one to do this nor will you be the last.

I bet your pool smelled real nice!

Please stick around to help out the next person that does this.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit