Need a new motor, advice appreciated :-)

Jun 8, 2011
Hello!

As the title states, the I'm in need of a new motor. Our pool is currently a swampy mess but I'm looking forward to correcting that soon. Long story short the pool has sat untouched for almost a year. I'll have to vacuum debris from the bottom but it's hard to tell as the pool is darn near black in color.

The motor hums when turned on so I can only assume it has seized.

Our pool is not large (14x32x4.5) so I feel the motor that it had was a bit oversized. The pump housing reads RS2000 and the motor is a US Motor K63CXERA-4768 2hp 1.2sf
My returns are around 40ft from the pump.

I was wanting to go with a 1hp motor to save on electricity. While I would love to get a 2 stage model, I don't have the funds for one of those at the moment.

I know I will have to get a new impeller but I need to know if this motor would work for me:
Amazon.com : Century Electric UST1102 1-Horsepower Up-Rated Round Flange Replacement Motor (Formerly A.O. Smith) : Swimming Pool Pump Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

I would be buying this motor, new impeller and seal kit. I would buy from our local pool supply store but they are asking 500$ for motor impeller and seal kit.

Please let me know if I'm making a sound choice, if I'm not I am open to your suggestions:). Next paycheck I'll order the pool test kit.

Thanks for your time.

The motor hums when turned on so I can only assume it has seized.
Not always. That can also be a bad start capacitor which is very easy to replace.

But yes, that pump is probably too large for your pool unless it is also used for spa jets. Is your old motor a 56J frame?

A two speed would easily save you the extra cost in energy over a fairly short time.

While I am interested in a 2 speed pump, they seem to cost a lot more than the single speed motors. Also, the wireing I have has 3 wires. As I understand there has to be 4 wires plus an additional relay to make the motor work properly. I won't mind getting one if the price is reasonable. I'll have to study up on YouTube for that kind of installation.

Yes, they can cost upwards of $200 more but even at only 4 hours per day of run time, it would save 165 kwh of energy per month. Even at $0.10/kwh, it would take only 12 months of operation to break even. Also, you can sometimes get a motor with a switch on the back so you don't need to change the wiring. But I prefer the automated switching.

The 56J frame comes in two diameters. The smaller diameter has the bolt tab like the Amazon motor. But the larger diameter looks like one of these:

images
images

Smaller diameter:
images

Yes that is is the larger version. However, you can use the smaller motor but you will have to shim it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.