Recommendations please ...

nutria

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 20, 2015
Austin, TX
I am a completely new to the pool ownership game but suddenly find myself in charge of not one but 2 pools: one square and one lap pool. I am looking for a robotic cleaner and I am overwhelmed by the info. Can you guys help me with a few questions?
1. There are some nice reviews of the Nautilus and the triton/z5, but it is not clear to me what is the difference (besides the price and the remote control). Does it make sense to go for the higher end one? What is the advantage?
2. Given that we have 2 pools. Would you go for 2 cheaper robots, or is it practical to share a robot between the pools? How long and how frequently do people run the robots?
3. I see most robots are rated for pools up to 50 ft ... But our lap pool is over that? Will it be a problem, do they make power extenders for these things?
4 the pools are simple rectangular shapes with no fancy features. Does that make it easier to find a simple cheaper robot ?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

1, I will leave those specific models up to someone that knows them

2, It is practical to share between two pools if they are in close proximity, depending on the model typical cleaning cycle is 2-4 hours, some are fixed time, some are adjustable

3, You will want to pick one with a relatively long floating cord, you should be ok if you can place the power supply box near the midpoint of the pool. I have a 20x40 ft pool and my robot power supply box is near the shallow end corner due to available power outlet location and it works.

4, as I see it there are generally 2 types of features on robots, control features, and cleaning features. Remote controls, programable cleaning patterns or adjustable run times would fall under the first part, things like scrubbing brushes water jets, etc. fall under the second. It is hard to generalize here, all of the features can be nice, but of course costs money, Do you need a remote control, if so do you need full 4 direction, or is reverse and turn right enough? Do you get lots of silt so water jets would help or now, ....

Thanks for the comments Isaac. My pools are right next to each other,so it seems reasonable to share. Your comment about the fundamental features vs convenience is exactly the type of thing I need to know and what I was wondering about the two dolphin models I mentioned.

I would love to hear of other brands/models. I just need some guidance :)

Code:
1, I will leave those specific models up to someone that knows them

2, It is practical to share between two pools if they are in close proximity, depending on the model typical cleaning cycle is 2-4 hours, some are fixed time, some are adjustable

3, You will want to pick one with a relatively long floating cord, you should be ok if you can place the power supply box near the midpoint of the pool. I have a 20x40 ft pool and my robot power supply box is near the shallow end corner due to available power outlet location and it works.

4, as I see it there are generally 2 types of features on robots, control features, and cleaning features. Remote controls, programable cleaning patterns or adjustable run times would fall under the first part, things like scrubbing brushes water jets, etc. fall under the second. It is hard to generalize here, all of the features can be nice, but of course costs money, Do you need a remote control, if so do you need full 4 direction, or is reverse and turn right enough? Do you get lots of silt so water jets would help or now, ....

I think this depends on the environment of your pools. if you frequently get dirt or leaves in your pool i would certainly recommend two units if you like to keep the pools clean. It would also help to know the dimensions of your pools. Aquaproducts makes excellent robotic cleaners and have many service centers to keep your robot running efficiently unlike many other brands. The cleaners can be set to run for up to 7 hours (more than enough time) and only costs about a nickel in electric per cleaning. If you are very active with your pool i would recommend a jet powered cleaner as they are much faster and can actually be mounted onto a pole. The filter inside the unit keeps the dirt out of your pools circulation system and is actually much more efficient, capturing debris as small as 2 microns. Check out aquaproductsparts.com , a dealer and service center. I would recommend a pool rover junior for each pool, they will run you about 350$ a piece.

I have a nautilus, its a great no frills cleaner. Does an excellent job with dirt and medium to small leaves.
None of the robotic cleaners have a large capacity for leaves that get sucked up. If you have lots and lots of leaves, you'll need to use a net to get most of them out.

The difference between the Nautilus and the Triton are
1. The Triton has a float handle. That allows the cleaner to clean the water line much better than without one.
2. The handle enables you to be able to remove the cleaner from the pool much more easily than the nautilus does. Since you have 2 pools, and would be taking it in an out of each, that would be very handy.
3. The Triton is remote control capable. Remote sold seperately.

thats about it as far as I know

I have a Aquabot Supreme. It was recommended by pool installer last year when we did the pool. It has given a year of trouble free service. It's a bit overkill for the size of my pool. It does a very nice job with all the free form areas. I was a bit unsure at first, but overall does a nice job. It like probably most robot cleaners will get hung up in an area of the pool every once in a while and take longer that you would expect for it correct itself and continuing to move, but it does. Having said that, it's like watching grass grow, but having a few cold ones sitting out by the pool and watching makes all the difference. You have to do it, right?? Builds up your confidence in the cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.