R-0871 ran out!

May 23, 2015
Tucson
Okay. Been slamming for two days now, pool has shown visible improvement, and now I find that I've used up all my R-0871 in my K-2006 kit!!! I ordered more from tfttestkit.net, but what do I do until I can test? Should I just blindly add 3 or 4 gallons a day to keep it high until I can test it again??? Has this ever happened to anybody else? USPS from North Carolina to Tucson is a looooong time. Suggestions?

I've found that USPS Priority Mail, which I think is what TFT uses, is generally just a few days cross country. It's not guaranteed to be that way, but 95% of the time it's often much faster than either UPS or FedEx Ground. In the mean time, maybe someone else from Tucson will lend you some. I keep even my old partial bottles, many of which still test good and can be used in an emergency, but I'm too far away.

Thanks for the responses. I called five Leslie's locations, and they were all out of stock as well as being a little dumbfounded as to exactly what I was talking about. Naturally. Anyway, how do any of you suggest I proceed without being ably to test? Super chlorinated daily? 5, 6 gallons daily? I really don't want to lose progress, having already dumped about 26 gallons of chlorine!

Thanks, Jason. BUT...I don't want to lose ground and have to start all over again! Right now the water is a purdy blue-green and I don't want the algae to get a foothold. What do you suggest? A couple gallons of 10% A day? My shock target level is 24 ppm. Thank you again!

Dave, CYA is 60. Last check at 6:30 P.M. yesterday was 4.2 FC and 2.5 CC. I added 2 3/4 gallons of 10% at 10:00 A.M. today. I figured 2 gallons a day until I receive my refills fem you should keep me out of danger, unless you have any suggestions. Shock level would be 24 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know we hate using the pool store but how much could they screw up a FC result? Better than test strips or is that what they use. Haven't had then test my water in years
How much can they screw it up? Might as well roll some dice and call that your FC. At least then you wouldn't waste the gas driving to the pool store for bad test results.

beeseepee, just give it some time until your refill comes in. I agree with jblizzle, adding 1 gallon a day will help hold you steady without risking overshooting. The risks of undershooting is far less than the risks involved with overshooting.

I know we hate using the pool store but how much could they screw up a FC result? Better than test strips or is that what they use. Haven't had then test my water in years

A lot, trust me. They can only go to 10 FC anyway, some only to 5. We had a member here relying on a store here this year until a kit came, and they wound up with over 100 PPM FC as best we could later tell. The store was telling her 5 PPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.