Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: R-0871 ran out!

1. Back To Top    #1

R-0871 ran out!

Okay. Been slamming for two days now, pool has shown visible improvement, and now I find that I've used up all my R-0871 in my K-2006 kit!!! I ordered more from tfttestkit.net, but what do I do until I can test? Should I just blindly add 3 or 4 gallons a day to keep it high until I can test it again??? Has this ever happened to anybody else? USPS from North Carolina to Tucson is a looooong time. Suggestions?
    13,500 gallon fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Pentair Predator 150 cartridge filter, equipment lower than pool, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: R-0871 ran out!

You have a Leslie's pool store nearby? They might have some
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

I've found that USPS Priority Mail, which I think is what TFT uses, is generally just a few days cross country. It's not guaranteed to be that way, but 95% of the time it's often much faster than either UPS or FedEx Ground. In the mean time, maybe someone else from Tucson will lend you some. I keep even my old partial bottles, many of which still test good and can be used in an emergency, but I'm too far away.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. I called five Leslie's locations, and they were all out of stock as well as being a little dumbfounded as to exactly what I was talking about. Naturally. Anyway, how do any of you suggest I proceed without being ably to test? Super chlorinated daily? 5, 6 gallons daily? I really don't want to lose progress, having already dumped about 26 gallons of chlorine!
    13,500 gallon fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Pentair Predator 150 cartridge filter, equipment lower than pool, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You should not blindly add a lot of chlorine or you could end up way over shooting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Jason. BUT...I don't want to lose ground and have to start all over again! Right now the water is a purdy blue-green and I don't want the algae to get a foothold. What do you suggest? A couple gallons of 10% A day? My shock target level is 24 ppm. Thank you again!

7. Back To Top    #7

I would only add about 1 gallon of the 10% to the pool each day at the most.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

What is your CYA? What was your FC the last time you had a valid test?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Dave, CYA is 60. Last check at 6:30 P.M. yesterday was 4.2 FC and 2.5 CC. I added 2 3/4 gallons of 10% at 10:00 A.M. today. I figured 2 gallons a day until I receive my refills fem you should keep me out of danger, unless you have any suggestions. Shock level would be 24 ppm.

10. Back To Top    #10

I know we hate using the pool store but how much could they screw up a FC result? Better than test strips or is that what they use. Haven't had then test my water in years
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ethany View Post
    I know we hate using the pool store but how much could they screw up a FC result? Better than test strips or is that what they use. Haven't had then test my water in years
    How much can they screw it up? Might as well roll some dice and call that your FC. At least then you wouldn't waste the gas driving to the pool store for bad test results.

beeseepee, just give it some time until your refill comes in. I agree with jblizzle, adding 1 gallon a day will help hold you steady without risking overshooting. The risks of undershooting is far less than the risks involved with overshooting.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by ethany View Post
    A lot, trust me. They can only go to 10 FC anyway, some only to 5. We had a member here relying on a store here this year until a kit came, and they wound up with over 100 PPM FC as best we could later tell. The store was telling her 5 PPM.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem