HELLO from NJ New

May 30, 2015
Jersey City, Nj
Hi my name is Beth and I am new to the site. I Live in essex county NJ but was residing in Jersey City with a friend who has a pool. They moved in last mid-summer to this house, mostly cuz of the pool that was advertised with the rental. But when opening the pool we discovered the pool water was green, the filter/pump was cracked beyond repair and hoses were missing. Felt kinda duped and had to get new filter and products with their own money.
I was a first time pool cleaner but managed to get the 5000 gallon pool from green to cloudy blue in 3 days using only a cheap used intex 1500gph cartridge filter pump. Ended up having to do a full water change due to cloudiness not going away and discovered an inch of mud on bottom which i used a wet vac on. Refilled and cleaned pool all summer for them with no other problems with water balance/clarity, but there were millions of other things that went wrong. The hoses didnt fit, had to use adapters but they leaked like crazy. So did the return on the outer side. Used caulk, epoxy, gorilla tape, and finally duct tape to seal up leaks and stop return drip. I Actually used 2 rolls of duct tape from base of return completely covering the hoses, adapters, stop valves and down to the pump to get it down do a slow constant drip. Managed to keep it that way until end of season. Only problem was I could not get the dirt up off bottom due to cheap filter when closing so the pool was closed up with it in there until they could get a new filter next year.
So, I am back again at the house to help out with the pool. We just opened it up a few days ago and the water was still blue but with the dirt left in it. I forgot to take the filter off the pool last season but they planned to buy a new filter after last years issues. They got a Intex 3200 GPH Sand Filter, A battery powered pool vac, and a 6 way Taylor test kit. Vac doesnt work well but also have a Shark vac that was left here and cheap blue one, just never worked last year with **** filter. Would of been done with cleaning pool but they dont tell you how much sand you need in those filters. Thank god the hose that came with the filter screws right onto the return and also I put silicone around edges of it, so hopefully no leaks this year. Skimmer doesnt have same adapter fitting so doesnt fit but i clamped it and tied string to hold it up in fear that hose would fly off when i turn on the filter. Gotten the supplies except another bag of sand I will get tommorrow and be able to start it up then.
So that is the gist of my story which is very long, sorry bout that. Hopefully I will have this pool ready to swim in in a day or two. I try to explain to my friend what to do but its gibberish to her. I guess the best way to learn is by doing it firsthand like I did. Granted Im no expert, but Ive learned way more hands on then any video told me. Thanks for reading if anyone does.