need new pump for solar heating

aussieta

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
hi , currently have a davey xa105 3/4 hp pump for my solar
it doesn't appear to be a self priming type and if i don't keep an eye on it it loses prime
anyway must have lost prime for around a week and been running 8 hours a day
i think it is now dead as it seems deformed and isnt running anymore, just a buzzing noise
could be the run capacitor but i dont like the look of the pump housing, and have been looking for an excuse to get rid of it
looking at davey typhoon t150 as it is self priming
t150 is 1.5hp and 2inch pipe outlet, my current outlet is only 1inch, so will need to step it down
can the pump be too big, need about 20ft head hight for the solar
thanks for any advice

Is this pump only for solar? Normally, solar does not require a separate pump. I used a 1/2 HP pump for my solar and filtering on top of a two story house.

it is an unusual setup
the solar is a completely seperate pump with its own inlet and outlet to the pool
local pool shop said the pump we have xa105 is meant to be plumbed into the main filter line just after the main pump
not used as a stand alone system as it isnt self priming
pool shop recomended the silent model sls150 as it has cheaper running costs
also mentioned that my pipe size should have been stepped from 1inch to 1 5/8 inch immediately after pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.