Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using a pool cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Using a pool cover

I just put a pool cover on my pool. Should I be able to reduce how often my service guy comes to clean, say from once a week to once every other week?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Using a pool cover

Welcome to TFP.
    While a cover may reduce the amount of debris that gets into the pool, I'm going to hazard a guess that your pool service is also managing your water chemistry, in which case the answer is no.

If you're interested in reducing or eliminating the service, purchasing one of the recommended test kits (TFT100 or Taylor 2006, here's a link : and reading through Pool School would arm you with the knowledge to maintain your own water chemistry in a very easy and quick way daily.

Then you could choose how frequently you have a service come in terms of the "physical" labor such as vacuuming. OT for that atter, purchase a robot cleaner instead.

Let us know if we can assist.

Also note that while covers can reduce debris, conserve heat, and to some extent reduce chemical useage, pool water does benefit from sunlight and open air to reduce combined chloramines, ccs or spent chlorine by products that need to be broken down. So you would not want to leave the cover on all the time.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3
    Savannah GA

Re: Using a pool cover

Good water needs to breath and circulate. What about getting an automatic cleaner. The modern robots are great, and even old school Polaris's will keep it clean on a timer.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits