First, I'd like to thank this board for helping me make the switch to BBB. I have had to drain and refill my pool 3 times this year due to high CYA levels because of bad advice at the pool store. This last time I had to drain and re-fill 80% of the water twice in a week to get the CYA level DOWN to 100 (tested myself with a DPD test kit) so I could begin to attack the algae problem. Yesterday I began putting in 6% bleach to get the FC levels up to what the pool calculator recommended for shocking on a consistent basis. I worked on it all day yesterday and throughout the night. I woke up this morning to clear water
12,500 in ground concrete pool with Hayward pump and cartridge filter
Pool has a heater, but is currently not on until I get the water situated
Pool is in SW Florida so not closed, and since it's heated I use year-round
I am usually the only one who goes in it, but I am in it every day
Pool water was green and cloudy, but is now clear
Pump has been running 24/7, filter being cleaned daily, pool being brushed daily
Normally, pump runs about 8-10 hours a day
Most recent pool test (as of this morning):
FC = 15, TC = 15
CYA = 100
PH = 8.0 (added 20 oz. muriatic acid after test)
Some questions please:
- What are safe levels of FC for swimming (meaning no bleaching of hair or suits)?
- Based on the CYA chart, am I correct that I need to keep my FC at 12 to prevent another algae bloom?
- If I keep my FC at 12 (assuming CYA is 100), will I need to shock?
- I am going to test the PH again tonight to be sure it's gone down. If not, I'll add more muriatic acid.
- I've drained/re-filled the pool (80% each time) twice this week and am still at CYA 100. I'd like to wait a while before going through that again (my water bill will be astronomical this month)!
Thanks for any help!