Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing into my house....yikes!

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing into my house....yikes!

We just purchased a house with an inground, vinyl pool, pentair fns DE filter, about 24,000 gallons. It was a green swamp and I followed the advice on this forum to get it up and running. Just figured out that each time I backwash my DE filter, it is backing up into the shower and around the base of my toilet in my master bathroom. Not good.... Anyone ever have this occur? Is there a blockage in the line somewhere or is the plumbing routed wrong. The person we purchased the house from was a "flipper" and wasn't maintaining the pool. He actually offered to just fill the thing in at his cost. Do I call a pool company to come out or a regular plumber? Yikes...newbie was not expecting this. At least the pool is now blue and clear. As for my carpet in my bedroom (along the bathroom wall), it is drying with some fan assistance. Thankfully the bathroom is tile, right?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Backwashing into my house....yikes!

Welcome to TFP! Wow, I cannot even imagine that happening. I would probably call a plumber first and then a pool company if the plumber cannot help.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

In the mean time you should be able to backwash to atmosphere (ground area around the pump); may have to open up a union. Do you have pic of the pump piping?
    14,364gal AGP
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x32'x52"
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System - 2,650 GPH**Nite-Brite Halogen Pool Light
    TF-100 Test Kit (This kit Rocks)

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

This is a heckuva first post!

I'd say someone plumbed the waste pipe to the main sewer and the clumped-up old DE has clogged the pipes.

1) Stop backwashing.
    2) Cut the waste line and start using a backwash hose onto the lawn or something
    3) Get a plumber to clear your lines. I'd suggest you check online or use the yellow pages for hydro jet drain cleaning.

In the future, use fiberclear or one of the other cellulose filter media. It's biodegradable and isn't a breathing hazard the way DE is. Nobody can get too upset that you're blowing high-grade sawdust out on the ground.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I have stopped back washing since I figured out it was going into my house. I will post a picture of the plumbing tomorrow when it is light. Have a call into a plumber, but it being the weekend, Monday will probably be my earliest hope of them coming out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow!
    definitely sounds like what Richard says. Easy enough to fix the backwash route, more difficult to clean out the house plumbing if it needs to be.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

If it had been plumbed properly with a DE separation tank (many jurisdictions require this now if you backwash into your city sewer drain) this would have never happened.

Does you equipment pad have a separation tank? If not, you might consider that option/upgrade too as it will lessen the burden on your sewer discharge. You can certainly discharge onto your property too, but I found that to be a messy option.

Sadly, you're going to have to call Roto-Rooter....

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates