Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100..."Chlorine Only" Tube

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100..."Chlorine Only" Tube

During the Chlorine Test, it says to use the "Chlorine Only" tube. Any particular reason that this is labelled so specific? I bought the magnetic stirrer kit and have been using the "Chlorine Only" tube with the magnetic stirrer. Is this OK?
    Pool Owner since Sept. 2014, but 2012(ish) in-ground pool. 40'x'20x3'(shallow)-8'(deep). Around 28,000 gallons. Vinyl liner. SWG. Aqua Rite with Hayward T-15 cell. Hayward Super Pump (self priming). Hayward Sand Filter. AquaPro Pro1100e Heat Pump. 2 main drains. 2 skimmers. 2 jets. 1 light. 1 diving board. Dolphin M4. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: TF-100..."Chlorine Only" Tube

It's fine to use the magnetic stirrer in it. The "chlorine only" cylinder is there for a very benign reason. Over time, the FAS/DPD test will start to leave a dark residual on the sides of the cylinder. By using only one, you keep the other one clean for all the other tests.

It takes quite a while for the cylinder to darken. It doesn't affect the validity of the test but if it bugs you, it is readily cleaned with a 1:1 dilution of muriatic acid.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you're careful with the arrangement, you can get the speedstir, the cylinder that came with it, and extra stirbars all in the same case. That leaves one cylinder for FC, one for TA, one for CH, and the mixing bottle for CYA fits on the speedstir, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

This is good to know that the tube can be cleaned. I didnt know! I figured I would have to buy a new tube! Thanks for the info Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    It's fine to use the magnetic stirrer in it. The "chlorine only" cylinder is there for a very benign reason. Over time, the FAS/DPD test will start to leave a dark residual on the sides of the cylinder. By using only one, you keep the other one clean for all the other tests.

It takes quite a while for the cylinder to darken. It doesn't affect the validity of the test but if it bugs you, it is readily cleaned with a 1:1 dilution of muriatic acid.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post

Interesting. I've been using the tube that came with my Taylor k-1515 FAS DPD kit for about 10 years and the tube is still clear as new.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004