Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool 1/2 full should I drain before SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

oceanside, ny

pool 1/2 full should I drain before SLAM

Above ground pool is a green pond with fine silt on the bottom.
    It is only 1/2 full.

After I evict the ducks, should I:

1) fill up the pool and SLAM it?
    2) empty it, clean it and start with new water?
    3) SLAM it as is, 1/2 full, and them fill it once it clears up.

about 6,000 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: pool 1/2 full should I drain before SLAM

There is no WRONG option but I would fill it up and then SLAM..........should be the easiest on everyone (except of course for the ducks )
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: pool 1/2 full should I drain before SLAM

Emptying the pool completely could cause problems with the liner shrinking or shifting or wrinkling. And if the wind picks up, so does the pool.

But personally, I think I'd take the risk if the pool is full of duck droppings. If you have a pool vacuum hose, you can weight it down with the vacuum head and then fill it with the garden hose and quickly flip it out and down to start a siphon. Or rent or borrow a submersible pump. Get the last of the crud out with a wet-n-dry shop vacuum, mop up the last mud with an old towel, and start refilling right away. As soon as its full and the pump is running, raise it to shock level to kill any remaining nasties.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!