Hi I got the test kit as recommended and here r the results:

ph 7.2
calcium hardness 110
total alkalinity 100
cyanuric acid 35
free chlorine .2
total chlorine .6
saturation between .1 and .2

please advise how to go from here as I'm new to this.....thanks!

Congrats on your kit!

You need to raise your FC. You can look at the chlorine cya chart in pool school for what FC you should have with a CYA of 35 and then raise it to the target level with bleach. You can use pool math to calculate how much it you should add.

What does your pool look like?
If it is cloudy or a green swamp you will want to read up on the SLAM process and raise FC to the SLAM shock level for CYA 35

thanks one more question? Do I need to super chlorinate? When I opened the pool the pool store told me just to throw three bags of dura shock in and it would be good to go. Obviously the chlorine level never went up so then they said there may be chlorine lock and wanted to sell me a bunch of stuff which is when I found this site. What exactly should I do? Just get the recommended bleach from the pool math which I think is 118oz and should be good?

That's another misleading term (super chlorinating) the pool store and others like to throw around - along with "shocking" the pool. No need to use anything right now other than regular bleach as noted on your recommended level chart and by using the Pool Math Calculator (links below). That's what makes TFP so wonderful - using simple, regular products to maintain your pool that do not have ridiculous side effects on your chemistry. Just keep that FC at the recommended level and you are good. If at anytime you see anything odd changing with your water or test results, just let us know.

jfranchi9, you never have to worry about "One more question" here at TFP. We ALL have questions and learn form each other. Trust me, ask all you need. :)

One last thing, your results are overall in pretty good shape. Keep an eye on the free chlorine (FC) and Combined Chlorine (CC) as you get used to your kit. You'll check those more than any others over the season. If your water ever starts to get cloudy, it's an indication the FC got too low and the CC got over .5, allowing algae to bloom. If that ever happens, start reading the SLAM info and implement. Hope you enjoy your swimming season.

Ok day 2 test after putting in the recommended bleach per pool math

free chlorine is at 2.4
combined chlorine is at .6

not sure if that makes sense at all so hopefully I'm doing the test right.

I put in pool math that I wanted free chlorine to get to 3 so almost got there from the .2ppm yesterday.

suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are going to need to "feed' your pool every day. After a while you will be able to know what your pool needs even before you test it.

Daily-test your pool's FC, CC, PH, TA. Most of the time you will only need to add bleach to bring up the FC.

Once you get your PH and TA balanced the way your pool wants it you will not have to work on it very often

I test CYA once a week as it really should not change much unless you add or remove water.

I do my FC in the evening and add the needed FC. That way the FC can do what it needs to do without the sun getting any of it.

Some people do it in the morning. It all depends on your life style and what works for you.

Let us know if there any other questions or concerns. We love to help!
Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.