Hi I got the test kit as recommended and here r the results:

ph 7.2
    calcium hardness 110
    total alkalinity 100
    cyanuric acid 35
    free chlorine .2
    total chlorine .6
    saturation between .1 and .2

please advise how to go from here as I'm new to this.....thanks!
    Above ground 15,000 gallon vinyl w/ sand filter .....more info to come

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Just got recommended test kit and need guidance please

Congrats on your kit!

You need to raise your FC. You can look at the chlorine cya chart in pool school for what FC you should have with a CYA of 35 and then raise it to the target level with bleach. You can use pool math to calculate how much it you should add.

What does your pool look like?
    If it is cloudy or a green swamp you will want to read up on the SLAM process and raise FC to the SLAM shock level for CYA 35
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually it is pretty clear right now I will try to do the math thing now thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Where do I want to be at for all the figures?

4. Back To Top    #4

In my signature below, see the link for Recommended Levels. That will get you in the right direction. Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks one more question? Do I need to super chlorinate? When I opened the pool the pool store told me just to throw three bags of dura shock in and it would be good to go. Obviously the chlorine level never went up so then they said there may be chlorine lock and wanted to sell me a bunch of stuff which is when I found this site. What exactly should I do? Just get the recommended bleach from the pool math which I think is 118oz and should be good?

6. Back To Top    #6

That's another misleading term (super chlorinating) the pool store and others like to throw around - along with "shocking" the pool. No need to use anything right now other than regular bleach as noted on your recommended level chart and by using the Pool Math Calculator (links below). That's what makes TFP so wonderful - using simple, regular products to maintain your pool that do not have ridiculous side effects on your chemistry. Just keep that FC at the recommended level and you are good. If at anytime you see anything odd changing with your water or test results, just let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

jfranchi9, you never have to worry about "One more question" here at TFP. We ALL have questions and learn form each other. Trust me, ask all you need.

One last thing, your results are overall in pretty good shape. Keep an eye on the free chlorine (FC) and Combined Chlorine (CC) as you get used to your kit. You'll check those more than any others over the season. If your water ever starts to get cloudy, it's an indication the FC got too low and the CC got over .5, allowing algae to bloom. If that ever happens, start reading the SLAM info and implement. Hope you enjoy your swimming season.

8. Back To Top    #8

It is VERY important to always keep the chlorine level above the minimum level for the CYA level in your pool or algae will start to grow. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok day 2 test after putting in the recommended bleach per pool math

free chlorine is at 2.4
    combined chlorine is at .6

not sure if that makes sense at all so hopefully I'm doing the test right.

I put in pool math that I wanted free chlorine to get to 3 so almost got there from the .2ppm yesterday.

suggestions?

10. Back To Top    #10

Use the 10 ml for FC......you'll save yourself some money.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Lol good point

12. Back To Top    #12

Just curious how come the new test kit shows free chlorine at 2.4ppm and the test strips I had before show zero and pool store test show zero .....just want to make sure I'm doing test right and pool is safe for kids to swim in

13. Back To Top    #13

Because test strips and (most) pool store tests are inaccurate.

That's why Trouble Free Pool recommends the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006, and performing your own testing.

Works for me
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

14. Back To Top    #14

You are going to need to "feed' your pool every day. After a while you will be able to know what your pool needs even before you test it.

Daily-test your pool's FC, CC, PH, TA. Most of the time you will only need to add bleach to bring up the FC.

Once you get your PH and TA balanced the way your pool wants it you will not have to work on it very often

I test CYA once a week as it really should not change much unless you add or remove water.

I do my FC in the evening and add the needed FC. That way the FC can do what it needs to do without the sun getting any of it.

Some people do it in the morning. It all depends on your life style and what works for you.

Let us know if there any other questions or concerns. We love to help!
    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit