Minor leak at control valve joint

Apr 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I've noticed that I have a pinhole leak at a joint under the sand filter's control valve. It's minor enough that it releases a drop every minute or so. Is this something I can put something over and be done with, or is it going to require a nightmare teardown?

leak.jpg

If you have unions on all those lines, it shouldn't be horrible. Does that fitting screw in? It looks like it might, but not 100% certain. If it doesn't screw in replacing it may be the easiest viable option. Personally I wouldn't bother with it unless you are bored, tearing into the piping anyway, or it just really annoys you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Plast-aid yesterday (finally). It was a bit difficult to work with, because it's not smooth. Probably the main difficulty was the awkward location. But in any case, it's not leaking anymore, so problem solved. I'm pretty sure epoxy would have worked well also.

One note--that Plast-aid must be horrifically smelly. I was wearing a respirator with organic vapor filters (the same one I use when handling muriatic acid), and I could still smell the Plast-aid a little bit.

There have been a couple idiots that leaned on my plumbing recently, including right on the control valve. (Apparently, plastic and PVC are easily confused with iron railings.) At the time, I didn't say anything, because I thought I was overreacting. I'm not going to hold back anymore, because I am now wondering if the flexing and stress they put on the joints caused this little leak. A little hairline crack or pinhole is all it takes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.