Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Minor leak at control valve joint

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumbs up Minor leak at control valve joint

I've noticed that I have a pinhole leak at a joint under the sand filter's control valve. It's minor enough that it releases a drop every minute or so. Is this something I can put something over and be done with, or is it going to require a nightmare teardown?

leak.jpg
    10,000-gallon inground pool, Jet Black PebbleTec / plaster
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter
    Hayward Super Pump, 2 HP
    Hayward AquaRite AQR9 / T-CELL-9 ECG
    Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Minor leak at control valve joint

If you have unions on all those lines, it shouldn't be horrible. Does that fitting screw in? It looks like it might, but not 100% certain. If it doesn't screw in replacing it may be the easiest viable option. Personally I wouldn't bother with it unless you are bored, tearing into the piping anyway, or it just really annoys you.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

That's some pretty impressive looking stuff.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I was thinking about covering it with some epoxy. Just ordered some Plast-aid from Amazon. Had never heard of it. Seems like it might be a safer choice since it sets faster than epoxy. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Hayward Super Pump, 2 HP
    Polaris 360

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

exactly what I thought, and the fact it worked made it even better
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

I used the Plast-aid yesterday (finally). It was a bit difficult to work with, because it's not smooth. Probably the main difficulty was the awkward location. But in any case, it's not leaking anymore, so problem solved. I'm pretty sure epoxy would have worked well also.

One note--that Plast-aid must be horrifically smelly. I was wearing a respirator with organic vapor filters (the same one I use when handling muriatic acid), and I could still smell the Plast-aid a little bit.

There have been a couple idiots that leaned on my plumbing recently, including right on the control valve. (Apparently, plastic and PVC are easily confused with iron railings.) At the time, I didn't say anything, because I thought I was overreacting. I'm not going to hold back anymore, because I am now wondering if the flexing and stress they put on the joints caused this little leak. A little hairline crack or pinhole is all it takes.
    Hayward Super Pump, 2 HP
    Polaris 360

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

That is great, I am glad it worked and no more leak

9. Back To Top    #9

That's the same kind of jackass that will lean on a brand new car. Hey a-hole! Move along!