Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump won't prime and water is coming out of air pressure release

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump won't prime and water is coming out of air pressure release

Our pump was working delightfully for the last couple of weeks - I even vacuumed the pool successfully and we've been backwashing regularly without problems. Today, the pump won't prime. I can't find any leaks anywhere When I tried the air pressure release on the pump, water started pouring out of it. Usually, I either hear a rush of air or nothing. I've never seen this. What on earth? Has anyone ever seen this?
    Thanks!
    Above ground pool 36,000 gallons, 14x36 and 16' wide and occasionally the bane of my existence. We have a sand filter and a Hayward pump. We live in Colorado so our swimming season is quite short. We try to extend it with a solar blanket.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump won't prime and water is coming out of air pressure release

Is there any chance you might have sucked-up something into your return (suction side) from your last vacuum session?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Is there any chance you might have sucked-up something into your return (suction side) from your last vacuum session?
    Does that mean I should check the skimmer side?

Thanks for replying, by the way
    Above ground pool 36,000 gallons, 14x36 and 16' wide and occasionally the bane of my existence. We have a sand filter and a Hayward pump. We live in Colorado so our swimming season is quite short. We try to extend it with a solar blanket.

4. Back To Top    #4

That's what I was wondering. If by some chance, while vacuuming, something got sucked-up into your suction line under ground that goes to your pump and pump basket. Just a thought. Stranger things have happened. With that line plugged or obstructed, it might explain why you aren't getting any water at all to the pump area.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

ctpdenver,

Welcome to the forum.

What is your current psi - pump running?

Is it the same as before this happened?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey everyone - thank you so much - something was stuck in the suction line underground. After much effort and some inappropriate language, we finally got it fixed. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Great forum.

7. Back To Top    #7

Good language comes through again! Yippee! Enjoy.

8. Back To Top    #8

I was talking up this forum something fierce last night.