Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A river ran thru my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

A river ran thru my pool

With all the rain in Texas, the ground is saturated and last night we got a very hard rain which cause a river of run off to flow into my pool and cause a mess. The pool was crystal clear, and not it looks like a dirty pond with zero visibility.

Should i keep the pump off for a few days and let it settle to the bottom and vacuum it out somehow, or do i just keep the pump running and backwash multiple times a day? If backwashing is the solution, I'm assuming I need to add back DE every time. Correct?

Sam
    21K gal Plaster pool w/ 6 jet Spa, 2 HP Jandy Stealth JHPU2.0 (upgraded to a 2-speed motor) pump for pool/spa, Jandy 60 sqft DE filter, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy Aqualink RS6 Controller. Water feature with Jandy JHPU1.0 Pump, Tiger Shark pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A river ran thru my pool

Either way is fine ... clearly the SLAM process is in your future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My advice: jack the FC up a few points while the pump is on. Let the pump go off as scheduled. Let it settle out overnight and vacuum it up. If you have no multiport valve that allows you to vacuum to waste, you'll be backwashing a lot. I collect roof runoff in my spa and let it act as a settling basin. It'll be brown with 2" visibility and the next morning, it'll all be settled out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a backwash valve that allows me to vacuum to waste if that's what you mean. I don't currently have a way to manually vacuum the bottom of the pool, but I will go today and get one at the pool store. Any suggestions on type/brand?

I'm assuming the hose to the vacume connects to the skimmer port, and if I put the filter on backwash, I will be able to vacuum to waste, correct?

Sam
    21K gal Plaster pool w/ 6 jet Spa, 2 HP Jandy Stealth JHPU2.0 (upgraded to a 2-speed motor) pump for pool/spa, Jandy 60 sqft DE filter, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy Aqualink RS6 Controller. Water feature with Jandy JHPU1.0 Pump, Tiger Shark pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by SamD View Post
    I have a backwash valve that allows me to vacuum to waste if that's what you mean. I don't currently have a way to manually vacuum the bottom of the pool, but I will go today and get one at the pool store. Any suggestions on type/brand?

I'm assuming the hose to the vacume connects to the skimmer port, and if I put the filter on backwash, I will be able to vacuum to waste, correct?

Sam
    I bought my vacuum and hose at Lowes. Yes, it plugs to the skimmer suction port. Backwash is no good for vacuuming. You'll just send all that silt inside the grids where it will ruin them. If you don't have a multiport with a waste setting, you'll just have to vacuum to filter and backwash it and recharge when it gets clogged.

There are pictures of vacuum heads and multiport valves in the Visual Encyclopedia.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I'm not familiar with your filter type so somebody may need to correct me here but vacuuming on backwash wouldn't be bypassing the filter entirely like a vacuum to waste option.

Edit. Richard beat me with an even better response
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Vacuuming to waste bypasses the filter yes-
    If the Multiport valve is in the backwash position, it reverses the normal flow of water in the filter and all the dirt would then be INside the grid; not on the surface as designed when in filter mode.

You always vaccum to waste (when possible as this lowers water level quickly) or vaccum in filter mode( this would require more frequent grid cleaning)

I pull my cover off the filter and hose the grid off and backwash for only a few seconds on low speed. This keeps me from wasting pool water but still have nice clean grids. The put top back on adds DE Substitute- done
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like I need to install a 3-way valve between my pump and the DE filter so I can vacuum to waste. Which model valve would you reccomend?

9. Back To Top    #9

So you just have a push/pull backwash valve and not a rotary multi-valve?

You will need a pool 3-way valve ... from Jandy or Hayward or Pentair, etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by SamD View Post
    Sounds like I need to install a 3-way valve between my pump and the DE filter so I can vacuum to waste. Which model valve would you reccomend?
    No. I don't have a multiport. I wish I did, but not bad enough to start cutting into the plumbing. It works just fine vacuuming through the filter. How often do you anticipate this kind of filter load? You can buy bags and bags and bags of DE or fiberclear for the price of a multiport valve and the miscellaneous PVC pipe and fittings you'd need, not to mention the time factor.

Just vacuum and backwash when it loads up and get it over with. The longer that stuff sits on the bottom, the more likely something is to stain the plaster.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just posting up a Howdy to the OP We have been dealing with the exact same storms and that has delayed our installation for the last 3 weeks.
    All of the ponds on our place have overflowed multiple times and we need the pool up prior to the retaining wall goes up.
    Gil
    Argyle, TX
    21' NEW YORKER II 54" DEEP AGP Private Label MORADA RTR WILBAR Aluminum wall
    Hard Bottom and 1/4" Floor Pad 1/8" Wall Foam Well Water Perma 2500 Unibead liner King Technology Pool Chlorine Feeder HAYWARD Diver Dave cleaner
    Waterway 22″ Sand Filter 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump Single speed Wide Mouth skimmer

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi Gil! you couldn't be more than few miles from me. I think we've had enough rain for now.

Sam