Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White Cover for Solar Pool Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

White Cover for Solar Pool Cover

We moved into a house with a pool in November. I have a solar cover with a reel to take the cover off when using the pool. I was reading the literature that came with the solar cover, and it says to cover the solar blanket with the white polyethylene cover that came with the solar cover to prevent the sun from damaging it while it's rolled up. This white cover is so thin that it's starting to shred and won't be able to cover the roll too much longer. I checked at Lowe's and Home Depot, but the only have clear and black In the paint drop cloth section. I also did an online search and nothing really came up. Does anybody know where to get a large sheet of white polyethylene? Does anyone not cover their solar cover when rolled up?

Thanks
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White Cover for Solar Pool Cover

It's just to keep the Sun's UV rays off the cover. Anything that blocks it will work. I think they used white to reflect heat. Go see what kind of cheap tarps they have at Harbor Freight.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: White Cover for Solar Pool Cover

Thanks!! I forget about Harbor Freight because there's not one too close, but I have family coming this weekend and there's one near them. I found a reflective silver one on their website that should work well.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10