Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Mosquitos

Hey TFP Peeps!

We have sporadically been enjoying our hot tub (when it's not raining, which is all the time), and we have discovered one really annoying problem: Mosquitos!!! I hate to put insect repellent on my neck and ears every time I want to get in our hot tub, but after doing quite a bit of research I haven't found a more natural alternative. I've read that the plants suggested to repel mosquitos don't work unless you actually remove the oil from them and make a spray. What do you use to repel these annoying pests while relaxing in your hot tub or pool? HELP!
    Just filled water in new IG pool!
    39' x 18' IG 3.5X4.5X9 34k gallon w/ raised spa, 3 stone scupers
    Jandy 60 SqFt DE, Jandy PDA PS6, Jandy JXi400 heater, Jandy 2.0 EPump w/SVRS
    A&A Manufacturing ICS w/G4 venturi heads
    2 incandescent lights in pool, 1 in spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mosquitos

We use Tiki torches with Tiki brand citronella oil. I found the key to using them is to light them about half an hour before you go outside. We put four of them about ten feet from each corner of the pool. They work great. Oil is kind of expensive though! We burn through about 6 gallons a year.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

Same issue is rearing its ugly head here around San Antonio after all the rain. Everything is a swamp and those suckers are thriving. They were all around my head last night in the pool. I might have to invest in several tiki torches or other citronella-type burners as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I use Bifen XTS and spray the shrubs/yard with a hose end sprayer. Works good for me.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I have a friend who swears by a company called Mosquito Squad. He uses their standard treatment and his yard has gone from infestation to completely mosquito free. They have natural treatments as well as their standard service but I don't know how well it works.

No joke, the guy who owns it here is named Skeat. Talk about being born for the job!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Ive had very good luck with mosquito repellent granuals that you toss around on the ground.
    Dr T's Mosquito Repellent, which was the best of the two, and the other one is called Mosquito Beater.

I got them at the local Feed Store. I have not seen anything similar in any of the Big Box home improvement stores.

They are all natural mixture of garlic, lemon, and other things that mosquitos dont like. Wont harm any wild animals or pets.

I used to get ATE UP by mosquitos to the extent it was impossible to enjoy the pool or patio after sundown. A day after applying either of these mosquito repellents, the mosquito attacks went down by at least 95%. Maybe even more.

The DrT's has a definite garlic odor to it for a few hours after throwing it out, then its gone.
    The Mosquito Beater has ingredient in it that hides the garlic odor and is more pleasant.

Have to reapply every 3 or 4 weeks.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Great info! Thanks everyone. I've got some shopping to do.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    I use Bifen XTS and spray the shrubs/yard with a hose end sprayer. Works good for me.
    so tell me more about this because I bought a gallon and have yet to have a day off to apply. just pour it in the sprayer attachment of the garden hose that I would normally use for Miracle grow?
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I use a Gilmour 362 Professional No Pre-Mix Sprayer. It's the highest quality hose end sprayer that I've ever used. It mixes very accurately and reliably and has a nozzle deflector which can be removed and the resulting stream can go about 30 feet, if I need to spray that far out. It holds 16 ounces of concentrate and has a very wide range of dilution settings. Works great and I highly recommend it.

My Bifen XTS is 25.1% strength. I fill the Gilmour hose end bottle to 10.7 ounces mark with water, the add Bifen to get to the 16 oz mark. Then I set the dilution rate to 2 tablespoons per gallon. That gives the recommended .0625% dilution rate. Work great.

Any other questions?
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I use one of these.

Bug-A-Salt in Action!! - YouTube
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

11. Back To Top    #11

image.jpg
    We planted a huge patch of Lavender around our HotTub when we lived in Copperas Cove,Tx and had no pesky Mosquitos
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    ROFL.........
    20K gal, Fiberglass, 1.5 hp Century Pump, Sta-Rit System 3 Model PLM-100, 100 SQ Foot. Inline Frogger Chlorinater Mineral pack removed, adjusted the Chlorine pac to put in my own when on vacation. Liquid Pool Sanitizer,, BBB style.

13. Back To Top    #13

haha! I gotta get me one of those!

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

It's great fun, especially during cookouts.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    Any other questions?

Thank you so much!

16. Back To Top    #16

That is awesome! I think we definitely "need" that over here!

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you all so much for the input!! Ok, we're buying the Dr T's Mosquito Repellent this weekend, and I look forward to trying it out.

In addition to the Dr. T's, we found this online: Effective Mosquito Repellent for Outdoor Areas | Thermacell

We bought the small, outdoor version before investing in the "pretty" lantern version. We used it last weekend, and it worked very well! It "creates a 15 x 15-foot zone of bug-free comfort", according to the manufacturer and we found that to be very accurate. We will definitely be buying the lantern version for our outdoor dining table. The manufacturer's website says that it is "virtually odor free". We did notice odor if we were too close to it, so just know that if you're sensitive to smells you'll want to keep it at a little bit of a distance.

I like the idea of lavender! I've read that most of the plants that advertise keeping away mosquitos only work if you open them up and use the actual oils of the plant as a mosquito repellant. I hadn't heard that lavender was one of them though, so maybe that would work! Thank you again for all the help!

18. Back To Top    #18

Good luck with the Dr T's and the lantern! That lantern looks nice. Keep us posted on how it all works out!
    Divin Dave,

19. Back To Top    #19

My neighbor is putting in a MosquitoNix system, so I'm looking into them. They seem to get either serious love or pure hate from the online reviews. I'd like to be able to do the maintenance/refills myself, but not sure if its feasible.
    36 x 16 IG, SWG, FAFCO Solar Heating System, WetEdge Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure, 8.5' - 3.5' depth, 6' S.R. Smith Flyte-Deck II Dive Stand, Interfab X-Stream slide, 27k gallons, doggy tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers, 2.75 Hayward Tristar pump, Hayward 425 cart filter, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 light, Dolphin Z5

20. Back To Top    #20

I'm not in Texas and probably the mosquitos aren't as bad up here but I back up to forest so ya they are bad. I had a mosquito magnet Liberty for years which ran off a propane tank which worked fairly well. Last year we went with the Mosquitos Squad company which sprays every 4 weeks. Worked better than our magnet. This year we went with a new spraying company which I believe is using a Bifen/polymer type product and seems pretty good so far. Still use the citranalia candles around the hot tub at night.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast