Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie HELP!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie HELP!!

I just installed a 26x52 (15,000gal) Intex ultra frame pool. I haven't added ANY chemicals yet and have just heard of the BBB method. Is it safe for vinyl pools? Will my liner bleach out? Besides ordering a good water tester what do I need to add first to my water? The pool has been filled for 3 days and the kids have swam twice but I need to address treating the water before I start having water problems. Can anyone share some knowledge?? I am completely new to this site.. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie HELP!!

Welcome to TFP!

We call it TFPC now as it's slightly different, and you don't always need the all the BBB chemicals. That said, it is safe, and it won't bleach your liner. All chlorine has the same potential to bleach the liner, no matter the form. Once different forms of chlorine are in the water, they are identical. I would suggest first that you need one of the recommended test kits. A Taylor K2006 or my preference, the TF100. Then, Pool School. Begin with the ABC's, and work your way into more. To properly treat the pool you need the kit, and the knowledge. We will be here to help and guide you through to learn when you have questions. Good to have you on the forum, and I hope you enjoy your stay.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Until you get a test kit and can sort out how to maintain your pool, it is important you add chlorine.

Each night, when the sun is off the pool, put in one small jug of Clorox, pouring it in front of the return......pump running.

Do this every night until you can develop a plan of action to get your other chemistry balanced.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, and until your kit arrives, stay out of the pool store for their products, testing, or advice. You'll learn why the more you learn about this site and experience from the members.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome! I'm new myself and have learned so much already. About to switch to BBB method because pools store tests can be WAY off. And they almost never have chlorine that doesn't have stabilizer. It's not balanced and will cost you a lot in water replacement if CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) gets too high. Learned that within 2 weeks. Even with crazy rain events in TX, I've managed to keep my pool in check. These guys are great!
    Cornelius Monterey Steel/Resin AG 18' round (approx. 7600+gallons) Hayward veri-flo SWG w/sand filter.Testing w/ TK2006 using Speed stir.