Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to add muratic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

how to add muratic acid

Hi, I need to add muriatic acid, how much should I add. Also how should I add it?
    30' Above Ground 18,000 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to add muratic acid

Hi BBecky75, hopefully one of the experts will chime in on this . They will need some particulars on your numbers. Pool math is a great place to find how much acid to add based on your numbers. Like, are you trying to lower TA or PH ? To add acid you can pour it in slowly in front of a return jet or into the skimmer. knowing why you need to acid will help
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to use PoolMath to calculate how much to add based on your current levels and your desired pH level.

TFP does not recommend adding anything into the skimmer. The Recommended Pool Chemicals article describes how to add chemicals.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You need to use PoolMath to calculate how much to add based on your current levels and your desired pH level.

TFP does not recommend adding anything into the skimmer. The Recommended Pool Chemicals article describes how to add chemicals.
    Thanks For jumping in Jblizzle, I knew I was reaching trying to help. I know better than saying add thru skimmer. My bad
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Post up some numbers and we can help.

But in general, any time you need to add something but are unsure how, check Recommended Pool Chemicals. Besides telling which chemical does what, it tells how to add it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the replies! I'm needing to lower PH. My current readings:
    TH 100
    TC 2
    FC 1
    PH is much higher than 8.4. Color is deep pink)
    TA 40
    CYA 100

Only have test strip for testing.
    Please HELP!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Becky coming from someone who was not certain when I came to TFP, I decided to follow the advice given to me by the members here. The best advice I was given was to invest in the TF100 test kit! I will make the same suggestion to you.

Test strips are just not accurate and you could cause more damage than good by using them to determine your levels.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks much but only have strips now. Any help would b appreciated!! Im
    30' Above Ground 18,000 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

We really cannot give advice based off strips or pool store testing. I am sorry. You can read up in pool school and that may help you.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree with Azgirl71 and others - do your best to get a test kit (i.e. TF-100) right away. They are great products and will serve you VERY well. Until it arrives, don't take chances on adding anything to your pool except perhaps a small amount of regular liquid bleach each evening - just to keep the pool sanitary. Once your kit arrives, tons of folks here will be glad to give you some pointers. PS - Stay away from the pool store for products, testing, or advice. They will only drain your pocket book and leave you frustrated. TFP will take care of you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!