Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How can I tell water is going through pump? Also, how to clean pump basket?

1. Back To Top    #1

How can I tell water is going through pump? Also, how to clean pump basket?

While my pump is on and I'm looking at the pump basket, should it almost look empty / like there's no water because it's circulating water without any air? I recently had the pool running below the skimmer line, but I've since filled my pool and have had the pump on, but just wanted to make sure it's actually circulating water. Right now, it looks like it's "empty"

Also, I've searched online that you need to close main and skimmer drain valve before cleaning out the pump basket? I was wondering what is the reason for this and if it is necessary to? And how can I find these valves?

Thanks!
    15k gallon in-ground
    Pentair Hydropump, Centurion switchless motor
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Dolphin 9301PRO pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How can I tell water is going through pump? Also, how to clean pump basket?

Is there water coming from the return jet?

- - - Updated - - -

You can get plunger valves from Intex when they are in stock

Plunger Valve (Include 5f-11 And 06nf-05) - Intex

or you can build your own. There are threads on here to build you owns us use the search box.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    Is there water coming from the return jet?
    I just shocked a very green pool, but looking at it one end I do see some water returning, not sure how strong it should be.
    15k gallon in-ground

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It should be fairly strong. When was the last time you backwashed your filter?

- - - Updated - - -

If it is reall slow you should back wash.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

It should be fairly strong. When was the last time you backwashed your filter?

- - - Updated - - -

If it is reall slow you should back wash.
    Back washed last night and just now. Not sure if it's because water is cloudy but not seeing any water returning.
    15k gallon in-ground

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Can you put your hand in front of the return jet to feel the pressure.
    Lisa

7. Back To Top    #7

Look at the pressure gauge on the filter. With pump off, it should show zero. If it doesn't, you have a bad gauge. With pump on, you should see it go up. If it does, the pump is working. The return flow should feel like a garden hose open halfway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Can you put your hand in front of the return jet to feel the pressure.
    Yup, just did that and it worked. Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Look at the pressure gauge on the filter. With pump off, it should show zero. If it doesn't, you have a bad gauge. With pump on, you should see it go up. If it does, the pump is working. The return flow should feel like a garden hose open halfway.
    Thanks! Yes, the pressure gauge does go to 0 when I turn the pump off. However, the pressure gauge has been around 3-5 psi. I bought a new gauge but haven't been able to install it because the previous owner seems to have glued around where I would twist off the gauge. If the pressure gauge isn't broken then I don't want to go out and replace it if I don't have to. What do you think?
    15k gallon in-ground

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by cta2015 View Post
    Yup, just did that and it worked. Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Yes, the pressure gauge does go to 0 when I turn the pump off. However, the pressure gauge has been around 3-5 psi. I bought a new gauge but haven't been able to install it because the previous owner seems to have glued around where I would twist off the gauge. If the pressure gauge isn't broken then I don't want to go out and replace it if I don't have to. What do you think?
    Big filter and small pump could easily have your pressure that low. Watch it. As the season progresses, it should slowly start to rise. The glue could be pipe dope, that's sort of off-white.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!