Scotch Plains, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
I just tested my water for chlorine levels using the drop test. I tested for FC by adding one heaping scoop of R-0870 powder. The water turned pink as expected. Next I added 5 drops of R-0871 and the water turn clear again.. When I try testing for CC by adding 5 drops of R-0003, the water remains clear, which per the directions of the TF-100 kit it means I have no chlorine. How is this possible? I am confused. Please advice.

R0870 + 5 drops of 0871 = 2.5ppm Free Chlorine
using 10ml sample, miltiply number of drops to go clear x .5 (or divide by 2)

If when adding 5 drops of R0003, the solution does not turn pink, then you have 0ppm of Combined Chlorines (which is a good thing).

If your FC is not in the correct proportion to the CYA level, then it will be buffered too much and be ineffective.
The higher the CYA, the higher you need to bump up the FC to overcome the buffering effect.

The correct target FC level is 11.5% of the CYA level and the minimum FC is 7.5% of the CYA level.

Really! I though to much CYA does not let the Chlorine sanitize properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
11.5% of 53 (my CYA level) is 5.83. Is it 5.83 a bit high for FC?

If your FC is not in the correct proportion to the CYA level, then it will be buffered too much and be ineffective.
The higher the CYA, the higher you need to bump up the FC to overcome the buffering effect.

The correct target FC level is 11.5% of the CYA level and the minimum FC is 7.5% of the CYA level.

Nope. When I started with my pool, I inherited a CYA of roughly 240. We were swimming in 20 FC with no problem. I had to keep it up there to avoid algae. I don't recommend it to anyone, but it does demonstrate that it's the ratio of FC to CYA that's important, not the actual numbers. The pool store one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work. To arbitrarily set a FC level without taking CYA into account is akin to saying someone weighs too much and needs to lose weight without taking height into account.

My FC is about 7 right now. My CYA is around 70. "High" is relative. The pool store will tell you 1-3FC is correct and CYA of 50-200 is fine. It's a ratio, not a blanket statement like they make. If you listen to them you will have a cloudy green pool every year, buy more shock and magic potions, dump half your water, and start the merry go round all over. Go by the numbers listed in the FC/CYA chart, and you will steer clear of the pool store initiated problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason,

enlight me pardon my ignorance, but everywhere I read it states that the recommended FC level is 3-5PPM. Even the chart you referring to is states that CYA levels of 70 shall be supplement with FC levels of 3-5 PPM. Based on your math, CYA level of 70 shall be FC shall be 5.25-8.05 PPM. I am not expert and join this forum to learn, so please explain your reasoning as I am simply questioning the math/formula provided.

70 x 11.5=8.05
70 x 7.5=5.25

Please advice if I am doing the math run, as again I am here to learn.

Those % listed before are for a non-SWG pool ... as you can see the 5 and 8 match.

For a SWG pool, the minimum is little lower at 5% ... but it is perfectly safe to swim all the way up to shock level which is roughly 40%.

What Jblizzle said is true. My mistake for not recognizing you are using a SWG... the % changes slightly with a SWG.

In any case though, I think where you are coming from is the long held pool store and industry standard of keeping a 3 ppm FC level.
Is this why you commented that you think ~6 is too high?

The pool store folks dont consider this definite FC/CYA relationship that is required to keep your pool not only sanitary, but algae free.
But then also, they are really not interested in us having a troublefree pool. If everyone had a troublfree pool, then they
wouldnt be able to sell all the stuff they do, and would be out of business.

here is some in-depth reading which a scientific look at this relationship.
Pool Water Chemistry

Thank you all for your replies and sharing your knowledge with me....i have been enlighted and now many things make sense. Like the advice i am getting from my pool store, which most likely was meant for a regular chlorine pool and the high levels of fc with high levels of cya....it makes total sense that the interaction of these two chemicals wil change the recommended levels of each other.

I cannot thank you all enough, as believe or not this thread helped me make sense of lots of other things happing with my pool. I hope everyone have a great weekend!

i just tested my water for chlorine levels using the drop test. I tested for fc by adding one heaping scoop of r-0870 powder. The water turned pink as expected. Next i added 5 drops of r-0871 and the water turn clear again.. When i try testing for cc by adding 5 drops of r-0003, the water remains clear, which per the directions of the tf-100 kit it means i have no chlorine. How is this possible? I am confused. Please advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.