Looking for good solar panels

Jason, where did you get your panels, and what did it cost to put them in? I can't find much cost info on the heliocol panels online since there are no dealers listed in my area, and everywhere I find them wants to send a quote instead of just listing system prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got them on Craigslist. cost me about $50 each panel, then had to buy mounts and connectors that were missing, plus plumbing, valves and controller. I may have $1500 into it. Likely over $5k to have Heliocol install.

There are other options that have no problem selling new to DIY (search for threads). I think the panels are closer to $200 each.

I got my parts from here: solar-discounters.com ... who BTW want $800 for each of the Heliocol panels I have.

Yeah I've found the ones on eBay for like $180 per panel. Not sure what brand they are. Maybe fafco. I did find some heliocol panels on eBay. Like $700+ for 4x12 panels. Crazy expensive. There are 8 in Florida on eBay with a current bid of $71 with a day left. Curious what they will go for. It's lower down my to do list, but I'm still pricing things so I know what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Efficiency wise, they are all about the same. Probably the only difference might be in the plastic lifetime but I really don't see how one manufacture could that much better to warrant some of the cost differences. They are just plastic tubes. I would just go by price and size to fit your needs.

Look up some of Isaac-1 threads. He has a nice description of his DIY setup with brand comparisons.

Here is his install: Solar Panel Replacement / Update
I have seen some discussion from him about the various brands, but not sure what thread.

Do you know anything about Solaris? That's what they sell around where we live. I can't find much online about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mark! Do you know anything about Solaris?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, I am on vacation this week so will not be on here all that much, a few things to keep in mind is that these panels are made from various materials, some are synthetic rubber, some are various thermoplastics, etc. The problem is there is no perfect material out there, or at least no one has found it yet, some have problems breaking down over time when exposed to UV, some soften when they get warm making them very susceptible to over pressurization damage. Some materials are semi rigid so panels can't roll up, others are very pliable allowing not only easier shipping, but easier installation of non flat roof surfaces. (like the h2otsun.com powerstrips) Much the same goes for the various designs, tube and ripple tubed styles may absorb sunlight better when at a perfect angle, but may also loose heat to wind worse than a flat panel, so evaluation of your local conditions is important if you are trying to optimize solar heating, however the reality this is just fine tuning and will rarely change total available heat by more than 10%.

I had heliocol install my 6 panel system. They had to pull out pavers and dig probably 6in deep 30 foot trench to my pump from the side of the house, single story. Put the pavers back perfect. They Installed thermostat to shut down when the tempo the pool reaches 85-90. < 2400.00 price

That was 3 years ago, I always inspect panels in the in March. It was 104 F today and the solar had been on for 5 days and the water is already at 90 :uhh: time to shut it down. But, it's a great system so far. I'm glad I did it.

Depending on the weather mid April is comfortable to late October with the heat here. :D great for night swimming now.

Good luck ?

I am very happy with my panels from Solar Direct. Info in my sig, pics and more info in my build thread, link in sig. They are blasting heat into my pool right now!

Efficiency wise, they are all about the same. Probably the only difference might be in the plastic lifetime but I really don't see how one manufacture could that much better to warrant some of the cost differences. They are just plastic tubes. I would just go by price and size to fit your needs.

It's true that most panels of similar construction have effectively the same efficiency RATING. I emphasize rating because ratings are done at standard test conditions. Solar pool heating panel efficiency depends on flow rate. There is a curve that describes efficiency for every panel based on fixed irradiance and variable flow. A higher flow rate is better (to an extent). That means for a given pump (or pump speed) various panels will perform differently. If you can get the same flow rate across brands, and that's a big if, you would get essentially the same performance.

Also remember that there is more to the system than just the panels. The plumbing and valve sizes will impact flow rate, and the mounting system should be considered in terms of longevity and efficacy.

There are some differences in loose tube versus full plate designs in terms of weather (wind), but otherwise it's all just black plastic... except, as you correctly mentioned, the longevity is based largely on the component mix in the plastic.

Jason Szumlanski
Florida Solar Design Group

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.