Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Solar reel without joints?

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Solar reel without joints?

I've read about Matt4x4's solar reel and others who replicated the design. I would like to do so myself, but we only have a Lowe's in our town and they only carry 10 foot sections of conduit. Pool is 33', so I need to join in 4 places. The compression joints are not strong enough and there is significant sag at the joints. We then took 5 foot sections of schedule 80 PVC, filled with foam insulation, and put those in the center of the joints for added stability. This looked fantastic with the first two sections, but once we did the third it sags again.

I saw that Matt said he used 4" irrigation tube, but I don't know where I would get that. Any ideas?

Or does anyone else have experience with spanning this long of a distance? Definitely open to ideas on what could get this working!
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: DIY Solar reel without joints?

I have no idea if Lowes does not have it. I am assuming you have already checked there?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. I believe that it is structural tubing, used in commercial applications, so would have to be custom ordered from ___?
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You will probably just have to google until you find some place you can order it. I imagine any place that specializes in plumbing and or irrigation would be the places to check.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

If Google had answered my question I wouldn't have posted here. Looking for others who have made one for a larger pool. Structural tubing like that is not readily available...not in this area at least.