Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best base for large Intex

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Best base for large Intex

We are in the process of clearing ground for a 26' Intex ultra frame. Ground is leveled. We are on the edge of a field, so we want to make sure we do this correctly. Is it necessary to have a layer of crusher rock below the sand? We got many of the rocks out of the ground, but there is no humanly possible way to get them all, lol. We also plan on getting a Gorilla pad for on top of the sand. We don't want any large rocks pushing their way through. We are also going to tamp the ground down before we start adding any layers. I looked into the insulation to use as a barrier, but to me, it didn't seem any cheaper than the pad, and a lot moe work!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best base for large Intex

The Gorilla pad is not very thick. When I was looking at it I thought it looked like it was really just a thick tarp. I worry that you would still notice the rocks.

How thick are you thinking about for the sand? Sand settles and moves very easy so is not the ideal base.

I just wanted to put that out there for you to think about.

Kim (I was going to be silly and ask if you had bought a good test kit yet LOL!)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Pea Gravel or Screenings will give you a nice base that is quite malleable and yet will not wash when it rains. I think both are superior to sand.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I called the stone center today. They said to use an A2 something or other (ha ha), then the sand. About 2" thick, tamp it, then about an inch of sand. Am going to also put some weed killer first.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!