Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster and rain/breakin period

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster and rain/breakin period

I'm scheduled to get Plaster on Monday and it is supposed to rain. I've seen some people say that if it doesn't rain for at least two hours after plaster, it is ok. But others have indicated that if rain comes down the pool walls, it can cause problems. Is there a consensus on this cite?

Also, the Startup Procedures on this cite states that there should be no swimming during the break-in period. What exactly is the break-in period?

Thanks
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Plaster and rain/breakin period

Great questions! Thanks for asking. I can't answer them, but I'm waiting to see the responses! Take care. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

6 hours is preferred from the last troweling to exposure to water. Are they planning on acid washing it the following day?

Given the considerable expense of the pool finish and likely blame on the weather for an unsatisfactory product, I would suggest rescheduling it.

The break in period more applies to the acid start-ups. The pH will be very low for a few days to a few weeks. As long a the surface has sufficiently cured and the water is within safe parameters, have at it. Some say to wait a month before swimming because plaster doesn't achieve its full strength until 28 days after application.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know the rules, but no way I could wait a month to swim!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbaby View Post
    I don't know the rules, but no way I could wait a month to swim!
    LOL, I'd love to see a poll on this one. My neighbor's pool was completed on a Monday, had a pool party on the following Saturday, others tell me the same thing. BTW, not arguing that its best practice.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    LOL, I'd love to see a poll on this one. My neighbor's pool was completed on a Monday, had a pool party on the following Saturday, others tell me the same thing. BTW, not arguing that its best practice.
    This will be me, I'm sure!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

7. Back To Top    #7

I was in my pool same day, before it was full, pool party was 3 or 4 days after. Do as I say not as I do children.

My PB approved it!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I can't imagine waiting. I've been waiting forever. Once it's full, this girl is getting in!
    ~Wendy

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. Our plaster was canceled by PB for Monday due to rain forecast. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping