Dry ice in the pool.....

Oh yes. Remember, dry ice is carbon dioxide in its solid state. CO2 is a functional acid in your pool water and can lower your pH fairly drastically, resulting in some serious water balance issues. I would advise to not put dry ice in your pool.

Been there and done that as shown/described here. I didn't take pictures of what happened in the pool, but I do describe it including the effects on pH.

As for the effects on global warming, figure that a typical car outputs about one pound of CO2 per mile.

Richard

Putting a small amount in a pool is one thing, but adding a bunch to a spa will lower the pH dramatically and could very well damage equipment. Adding even one pound of dry ice to a 350 gallon spa can lower the pH to 5.5 and ten pounds to 4.6.

I would also warn to be very careful in an enclosed space with it. Carbon Dioxide is actually toxic, at lower then you would expect levels. That guy in the video link who jumped in the spa with it was probably being much more risky than you would think, plus that looked like an enclosed room. A little bit as party favours isn't a big deal, but when you are throwing 60 lb blocks into hot water, then sticking your face in the vapour, not a good idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our teenage daughter hosted a Halloween party last night. After reading this and other threads, I calculated our pool could handle about five pounds of dry ice. My wife picked it up Friday afternoon. It was pelleted, rather than in a block. We tossed it in to great effect and enjoyment by all. Later I asked my wife how much she had bought. Ten pounds. Soo, about seven and a half pounds of Borax later, I think we're back to around pH 7.2. Ah life.

Mother Nature also added to our decorations. We had our first real rain after our Mediterranean-style dry summer on Friday and six salamanders emerged and decided our pool would be a great place to hang out this winter. So we had a dozen eyes of newt in our witches' brew! (They seemed to survive the festivities and were quite lively when I fished them out today.)

257WbyMag said:
Oh yes. Remember, dry ice is carbon dioxide in its solid state. CO2 is a functional acid in your pool water and can lower your pH fairly drastically, resulting in some serious water balance issues. I would advise to not put dry ice in your pool.

What if I actually need to lower pH? Would this be a good substitute to adding muriatic acid? I live near an ammonium nitrate plant that produces copious amounts of dry ice as a byproduct and they sell it cheap.

We've put about 5 lbs of dry ice in our pool during a party and it didn't affect pH much. Of course there was a lot of splashing around that may have outgassed it quick. Ventilation is very important.

Hello! I found this thread when I looked up "trouble free pool dry ice in pool."

My family from Iowa is coming to visit for the 4th of July, and my super creative brother asked if we could put dry ice in the pool. It sounds like so much fun, but I was concerned what it would do to water chemistry. After reading this thread, I see that it will lower my pH. My pH rises, I have the in-floor cleaning system that seems to aerate the water, and also a spray bar that keeps the water moving. I am hopeful that these two combined would bring the pH back up. I see that Chem Geek already tried this, but I would really like to know if you advise against it. But, if it is okay to go, I would like to know what a safe amount would be for my 12,000 gallon pool (water temp between 90-94 degrees). Would five pounds be too much? Or is it better to just not put dry ice in the pool?

~Ann

The only thing I've noticed is that dry ice tends to sink to the bottom. It bothers me to have a very cold chunk of dry ice sitting on the plaster where it will locally cool the spot. I'd be worried about creating small hairline cracks from the thermal expansion differences.

What I did was rig up some course mesh bags to hold the dry ice in and then suspended them from pool noodles. This allowed them to float around a bit.

Just don't let people touch the dry ice. It's very cold and can cause frost burns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.