Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Dry ice in the pool.....

Dry ice in the pool.....

Any cons to dropping some dry ice in your pool for visual effects? (Halloween party Friday)

Todd....
    18K IG Freeform Gunite w/ spill over spa, waterfall, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Pac-Fab cartridge filter, Raypak gas heater, Polaris 360. Now BBB thanks to TFP!

Re: Dry ice in the pool.....

Oh yes. Remember, dry ice is carbon dioxide in its solid state. CO2 is a functional acid in your pool water and can lower your pH fairly drastically, resulting in some serious water balance issues. I would advise to not put dry ice in your pool.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Thats what I needed to know, thanks!

Todd....
    18K IG Freeform Gunite w/ spill over spa, waterfall, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Pac-Fab cartridge filter, Raypak gas heater, Polaris 360. Now BBB thanks to TFP!

...but what a cool idea. If only we had some sort of resident Chemistry Geek to tell us exactly what harm would come of such a thing.

Been there and done that as shown/described here. I didn't take pictures of what happened in the pool, but I do describe it including the effects on pH.

As for the effects on global warming, figure that a typical car outputs about one pound of CO2 per mile.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

So that being the case, I say go for it. Drop the pH a little. Fix it saturday. Pools are for enjoying.

Somebody did it and put a vid on Youtube...

[youtube:8y7knsef]uhXA9ON6igk[/youtube:8y7knsef]

And here's the link to the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXA9ON6igk

Have fun,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

Putting a small amount in a pool is one thing, but adding a bunch to a spa will lower the pH dramatically and could very well damage equipment. Adding even one pound of dry ice to a 350 gallon spa can lower the pH to 5.5 and ten pounds to 4.6.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

You could also fill a 5 gallon bucked with pool water almost to the top and sink it on one of your steps with the rim just above waterline. Add the dry ice the the bucket water and the smoke will pour out over the pool surface.
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

I would also warn to be very careful in an enclosed space with it. Carbon Dioxide is actually toxic, at lower then you would expect levels. That guy in the video link who jumped in the spa with it was probably being much more risky than you would think, plus that looked like an enclosed room. A little bit as party favours isn't a big deal, but when you are throwing 60 lb blocks into hot water, then sticking your face in the vapour, not a good idea.
    Jim

Our teenage daughter hosted a Halloween party last night. After reading this and other threads, I calculated our pool could handle about five pounds of dry ice. My wife picked it up Friday afternoon. It was pelleted, rather than in a block. We tossed it in to great effect and enjoyment by all. Later I asked my wife how much she had bought. Ten pounds. Soo, about seven and a half pounds of Borax later, I think we're back to around pH 7.2. Ah life.

Mother Nature also added to our decorations. We had our first real rain after our Mediterranean-style dry summer on Friday and six salamanders emerged and decided our pool would be a great place to hang out this winter. So we had a dozen eyes of newt in our witches' brew! (They seemed to survive the festivities and were quite lively when I fished them out today.)
    15K gal IG gunite, IntelliPro VS3050 variable-speed pump, Jandy CV580 (580 sq ft) cartridge filter
    IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, SunTouch solar-only control system
    Polaris PB4 booster pump, Polaris 280 pool cleaner
    1 skimmer, 3 eyeballs, 256 sq ft solar panels
    Taylor K-2006 test kit, Filled for first time August 8, 2008

I dont think putting blocks of it in there would be a great idea!
    Artificial Palm Trees and NEW Palm Tree MAILBOX- http://www.xtremelytropical.com -- Get your mail delivered in the "tropics" and create your own backyard tropical oasis with your own artificial palm trees!

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Oh yes. Remember, dry ice is carbon dioxide in its solid state. CO2 is a functional acid in your pool water and can lower your pH fairly drastically, resulting in some serious water balance issues. I would advise to not put dry ice in your pool.

What if I actually need to lower pH? Would this be a good substitute to adding muriatic acid? I live near an ammonium nitrate plant that produces copious amounts of dry ice as a byproduct and they sell it cheap.
    20K IG Fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sand, Hayward ColorLogic

CO2 systems are sometimes used in commercial pools to lower the PH. See this topic for a little more discussion of the subject.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

We have been discussing this same video over in the Coffee Bar section. I raised the same question about using it in place of Muriatic Acid too. Check the thread out over here
    "Mountain Lake" Freeform Gunite Pool - 32000 Gal 3ft-8ft
    60sqft DE Filter,1.5HP Pump
    AQUAPURE SWG, 2 ft Sheer Descent, 25sqft Cozy Corner with Spa jets
    Nitro Wall Scrubber, Pool Buster Max

We've put about 5 lbs of dry ice in our pool during a party and it didn't affect pH much. Of course there was a lot of splashing around that may have outgassed it quick. Ventilation is very important.
    14'x28' vinyl liner inground 3.5-6' deep wedge hopper 15000 gal (used to say 13000- I calculated wrong), 1 hp pump with sand filter, 2 returns, 1 fountain, traditional chlorinated, pool house.