Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter pressure fluctuates from day to day

1. Back To Top    #1

Philadelphia. PA

Filter pressure fluctuates from day to day

My cartridge filter, with clean or new cartridges runs with a psi of 26. A few weeks ago the pressure changed over night (the pump is off at night) to 22 and the water flow over the waterfall spill way and in the pressure side cleaners was really fast. Then a few days later the pressure changed overnight again to 28 and the spill way was less robust and the cleaner ran a little slower. This has happened a couple of times over the past couple of months and today the pressure is back to 22. What could be causing these big swings in pressure? Thanks!

FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    CH 240
    TA 80
    CYA 30
    40,000 gallons (estimate), 23 yrs old, IG, plaster, StaRite 3 cartridge filter, Magnetek 2 hp pump, Intellichlor SWG, spa w/ waterfall, pressure side cleaner w/ booster pump, Max-E-Therm Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Filter pressure fluctuates from day to day

The only thing I would guess is maybe a small clog forms and then it works its way loose. As long as you have very good water flow from the return all you can really do it monitor it. Another of our members may have another idea.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3
    Benton, KY

Re: Filter pressure fluctuates from day to day

Maybe a tear somewhere on one of the cartridges? Maybe one time the pump comes on a pleat opens up with a small tear so it has less pressure, then the next time that pleat is closed, and the pressure is normal. Have you checked to make sure all the cartridges are seated properly and the seals are clean? Does the gauge go immediately to zero when the pump is off? Does it ever change during the time the pump is running? Or only after it turns off and back on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    33K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100XL